Abarth Exhaust thread

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Max Handley
356 Fan

Re: Abarth Exhaust thread

#76 Post by Max Handley »

Video of NOS Abarth (1965/65) run in on a 1965 C engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vZMp5ORoQU
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#77 Post by Dick Weiss »

Keep a pair of shin protectors if some Abarths exist and especially w/the Stebros, Ansas: etc.

Dick

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#78 Post by Jim Liberty »

I have one on my 1952 Coupe, and will install one on my 1954 (Under Restoration). Both came from CLASSICO CORSA Garage in Modena Italy. They are wonderful in both looks fit, and sound. Both are on 1500 Super 2- Piece case motors. Can't tell what happens above 5,000 RPM, I never run my motors that high, not even my Super 90. These are "Old Ladies" after all.

.......................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#79 Post by Alan Hall »

Douglas Denlinger asked about hi-temp wrinkle finish black paint for his Abarth restoration. I noticed at a local auto parts store they had VHT black wrinkle finish spray cans - says it is good to 350F which probably not high enough for the inlet pipes but might be OK for the muffler body. Have not used it.

Alan

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#80 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Michael Carmody wrote:Can anyone clarify how Carlo Abarth"s last name was pronounced?

AY-barth is definitely not right. I suspect it is pronounced somewhat like the English word "apart". Same stressed last syllable but with a "b" in place of the "p".

He was born an Austrian despite the Italian sounding first name, so I suspect the final "th" would never be pronounced like our "th", but like the hard "th" in the German word "Thueringen". (can't do umlauts on this damned computer)

The new Fiat Abarth commercial pronounces it Abart, like you said above. This is the commercial with the super hot chick in it.

Here's a you tube link to hear it for yourself. It's at 46 seconds. However if you've not seen the commercial you will want to watch the whole thing!:

http://youtu.be/siWVgAzhFC8
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#81 Post by Jim Liberty »

Michael, Tiff and I were at the International 356 event in May, in Merano Italy. The guys there pronounced it like you suggest. I have put them on my last three Pre - A restorations. They just sound right.

........................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#82 Post by Jim Breazeale »

P-912 on my 65 356C.
Attachments
IMG_1993.jpg
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re:

#83 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Steve Proctor wrote:Great data point on the Abarth power curve, John. I have an old original 356A Abarth on the 1720cc 912 engine in the Speedster. Next time I have the engine out, maybe I'll open it up from the top and see what judicious "relief" I can provide for the exhaust gasses to get some of that top end back. Have done that a couple of times with stock mufflers.

Thanks,

STP
I'm building a muffler for an A. I can copy the C internals, just make it a little shorter, they are pictured in one of the posts. I am curious as to what the internals of the Sport A (twin tail pipes) look like, and what a factory stock A muffler looks like. also what is the diameter of the Abarth/Stebro 4 outlet muffler can? Does anyone have pictures or drawings?
I suspect that it is smaller then the factory mufflers to make room for the 2,4, pipes to cross over the top. (BTW I put one of these on my '62 1600 S Coupe back in the mid 60s. The 2,4, flanges weren't parallel nor was the spacing right and it took a frustrating afternoon to get the thing on the car.)
Harlan Halsey

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#84 Post by Steve Proctor »

The body of the Abarth muffler (real vintage itemk) I ran on my 356A is 5" in diameter. I had it disassembled, tips re-chromed and some "body work" done. I agree with Jim Liberty about the sound. I am currently running a Jim Constas Sebring in flat black and it will be hard to remove it for the Abarth, but I just might...offers on the Constas??

STP
Attachments
Abarth.jpg
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#85 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Steve, yours looks very pretty. As I recall mine had a black crinkle finish. I don't suppose you have any pictures of the internals?

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#86 Post by Steve Proctor »

Yes black wrinkle finish was original. I had chrome pipes removed at the welds and rechromed and after staightening the body, had it jet coated. No pix of interior.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#87 Post by Richard Shilling »

All I remember about Abarth mufflers is that the one with the four large exhaust tips had a wonderful sound.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#88 Post by Steve Proctor »

...as do the ones with the small pipes - a deep tone. Pulled up to visit some friends once and the wife told me she thought a big throaty truck had arrived...
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Max Handley
356 Fan

#89 Post by Max Handley »

Listen to my thread posted earlier to hear an original NOS Abarth live on youtube
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Jay Aldeguer
356 Fan

#90 Post by Jay Aldeguer »

Quite fortunate to have found this original and in very good shape Abarth muffler on eBay over the holidays. Not sure which model this this though. Planning to put this on my A T2.
Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 12.48.27 AM.png
Check out some of my 356 and early Porsche photos @aircooledph on Instagram