Pre A Interim bumper cars

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Brady Owen
356 Fan

Pre A Interim bumper cars

#1 Post by Brady Owen »

I am aware that these car were built for mostly US deliveries but, out of curiosity does any one know when the first configuration of this type shows up. How many of bodies were produced. There is a reference in the early part books to the body bumper's stopping, "after coupe 11778", and assuming that the "A" style bumpers became the standard some time in Sept. 52, there does not seem to any reference to the interim bumper at all. I have Vin:#11510. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Scott Loraas
356 Fan

Re: Pre A Interim bumper cars

#2 Post by Scott Loraas »

I have body-bumpered coupe #11770.

Unfortunately my COA did not provide a production date, and I haven't been able to confirm the stamped parts I received with the car are original.

The registry lists my car's production date as 52.09.06, but I don't know how that info was obtained.

Conradt's "Driving in it's Purest Form" states that interim was from June to Sept 1952 and in October 1952 "the provisionally final bumper variation has been found" showing a picture of the A style bumper.

Photos of #11933 in the member's gallery show interim bumpers and lists 52.12.15 as the production date.

Your car's production is 7/7/1952, so the book's dates work in your case.

Brady Owen
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brady Owen »

Thanks Scott:

Your info is helpful, but it creates a mystery of its own. I have VIN#12041. According to the COA this coupe was produced in 12/52 as well, and it was definitely delivered with the "A" style bumpers.
I guess that this further confirms that the items that show up on the cars were what came out of the box on that particular day.

Any on else got any thoughts?

I am aware of some one else that recently came into a body bumper chassis very close to yours. If you are interested contact me:(bcabro@embarqmail.com)

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#4 Post by Tom Scott »

I owned, and restored, a 1952 coupe, 11598, which was a European delivery car and it had body bumpers but with the deco trim similar to the later 'A' style, both front and rear. The car also had the narrow body trim located above the bumper. It is my understanding that most Euro delivery cars in this era usually had body bumpers.

Tom Scott

Brady Owen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brady Owen »

Once again it seem that the items on our earl care seems to be what ever was in the box on any particular day.
Chassis #11510 still has the original interim bumpers and has the deco strip similar to the "A" trim but, the aluminum deco strip is almost twice the size. The insert is also twice the thickness. After reviewing Dr. Johnson's comments in his book "A Pictorial Guide", I compared the trim with a friend that has a micro bus from that era, the deco trim looked as though it was almost an exact match.

Thanks for the help. Still looking for the answers to the two questions: What was the time frame that the interim bumpers were produced and approximately how many were delivered. I have not been able to find much on the subject at all.

Mark Odenwald
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Odenwald »

I own 1952 coupe 11974. Don't have the COA in front of me, but I think it shows it as Being an October 1952 car and it has A type bumpers.

Brady Owen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brady Owen »

Thanks Mark. Your info has narrowed the production time frame a little.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

I think 12009 was a body bumper car.
Attachments
52atStoddard.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brady Owen
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brady Owen »

Hi Adam:

Thanks for the responce. Based on the picture that you sent the chassie reflected therein was that of a car that seemed to be produced sometime after Sep 52. As close as I can figure the last interium bumper car rolled off the production prior to Set 52. Take a look at the "Members galley" red 52 that Charles Ford has in Ohio. The visual difference is very destinctive The skirt welded onto the lower front end of the car seem very different than the car reflected in your photo. The skirt is not seen to clearly when the bumper is mounted but, the bolts that attach both the front and the rear bumpers can clearly be seen extending through both fenders like the early VW busses.

Please email me with a phone number and we can talk directly if you wish. Either way, good luck with you project

Brady

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

I am pretty sure 12009 had been clipped, if you look closely you can see where the horn grills have been filled in, so a later nose was used. I have that nose now, the new owner used a whole Trevor front end.
Attachments
52leaving.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

jonathan devereux
356 Fan

#11 Post by jonathan devereux »

hello all, l am new to all this internet stuff but seems very interesting. l own coupe 11481 and cab 15003 both of which have body bumpers and l believe are US supplied cars. if any of you guys and gals can help with more info l would be greatfull. l also need some parts for the cab which l am restoring, its nearly finished

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

Not sure if 10679 was a interim body bumper car, it had been modified for horn grills, and who knows what else when we found it. It came with an extra front end, but I think it was off of a 53 or 54.
Attachments
10679.jpg
parts4.jpg
parts4.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com

jonathan devereux
356 Fan

#13 Post by jonathan devereux »

hello again , l am looking for as many pictures and dimensions\ details for the roof on my 52 cab 15003. its of to the trimmers soon here in UK. can anyone help? thanks

Brady Owen
356 Fan

#14 Post by Brady Owen »

Hi Jonathan:

I got both messages today. While I may not be able to help you on the dimensions, I have friend that has just completed a DVD with cars pictures from a restoration of a interim bumper era. The chassis from what I believe is possible an August 52 coupe . I do not have the disc in my hand yet. However, if I get permission to send you a copy I will be glad to share it with you. Isn't this hobby all about.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#15 Post by Joris Koning »

Reviving this thread. Does anybody have good documentation on the deco's used on interim bumper cars and the aluminum trim strip used around the rear bumper?

TIA,

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe