WCSTA -25- 10164Three pieces

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

Re: 10164Three pieces

#46 Post by Bill Sargent »

Trevor,

You may want to consider a safety related mod to your rollover frame. See photo below. When the car is on its side, you have a lot of weight trying to bend the uprights holding the car. Consider some bracing - I used 5/8" rebar for mine - cheap.
356 Rollover frame.jpg
Missed you at the lit and swap meets. Was 94F at 1pm when I left...... and -5F in Anchorage when I got home - a 99F difference in 12 hours.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#47 Post by Trevor Gates »

Bill - The additional bracing seems like a smart insurance policy, I'll have to buy some more metal. Sorry I missed you as well. Did you fly down from Alaska just for the Porsche weekend? That's dedication.
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#48 Post by Bill Sargent »

Yes, I flew down for the long weekend - Friday thru Sunday. More like self preservation and a break from the snow & cold. 10 feet of snow and counting so far which is nearly 3 x normal.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#49 Post by Jack Staggs »

Trevor, see me/call for free metal you will need.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#50 Post by Trevor Gates »

Thanks Jack that's really cool of you. I ended up having some leftover square tube in the garage that I took and had cut to length tonight from the guys next door to you. I should be good on metal, but I'll still try and stop by some time this week to say hello.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#51 Post by Justin Rio »

Trevor, maybe I'm not seeing it; looks like you need some footings running lengthwise on your end carrier frames. They look as though they could easily flop over on you. Is there anything stablizing them laterally? Justin

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#52 Post by Trevor Gates »

Justin - Thanks for the concern, I thought about the lateral support when putting it together and is the reason I used such thick beams; 2.5" and 11 gauge. Those two beams are heavy. With the beam and 2 support pieces the corner has 5.5" of contact area on the ground, which gives a total of almost a foot on each side. I guess it is possible to topple them over in my garage since my floor is tiled and is not a flat poured concrete slab, but it would take someone really trying to do so. If I was going to make this type of a rotisserie and sell them to the public (I'm not) I would add some more pieces just for my own liability issues.

I got the other bracing added in and also decided that on the cross piece in the rear to add a piece that sticks out at an angle. The purpose of this piece is to allow me to place a floor jack underneath it and lift the hoop out of the bracket instead of me picking it up and asking my wife or neighbor to come slide the bracket out. Trying to get as self sufficient as I can.
Attachments
2.5" square tube with 1.5" tube on each side
2.5" square tube with 1.5" tube on each side
Rear hoop with additional bracing and pieces sticking out at 45 degrees so I can use a floor jack to raise up the hoop.
Rear hoop with additional bracing and pieces sticking out at 45 degrees so I can use a floor jack to raise up the hoop.
Another angle of the rear hoop.
Another angle of the rear hoop.
Front hoop with additional bracing.
Front hoop with additional bracing.

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#53 Post by Jim Karaba »

Now that looks much more sturdy. Great job!!

Will Scheidegger
356 Fan

#54 Post by Will Scheidegger »

O.k., now add these and it will be perfect :)
IMG_1835_w_structural_improvements.jpg
IMG_1835_w_structural_improvements.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 6340 times
'59 T2 Coupe project
'63 VW Type 1 sunroof 
'64 VW Type 2 "Samba" (21 window) project
'67 Jaguar S-Type
'79 VW Type 2 Westfalia camper project
'91 VW Type 2 Doka (double cab) syncro project
'04 VW T5 Multivan
Looking for engine 600 604

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#55 Post by Trevor Gates »

Well it's been a few months and thought I should give an update. I've been working on another car (my 67 Caddy) for the most part just getting it more enjoyable for summer, so that has been taking up most of my free time. I did spend last Saturday 7AM~4PM at Steve Hogue's shop learning all I could about TIG welding, which was well worth it. It was awesome! After taking his class, I have changed up a bunch of settings and Steve was also nice enough to take a look at my own TIG welder and give me some tips to be more successful with it. Below is picture of me laying some beads on a 22 gauge steel panel once I got my welder back home. The metal has a lot of potato chipping going on, but I wasn't trying to keep it flat, just practice laying beads without burning through, I'm happy that I'm able to do that now. I was definitely getting frustrated for awhile. Next I'll go back to cutting up some strips of metal to practice welding them together. TIG welding isn't easy, but the results are SO nice when done properly.
Practice TIG welding on some 22 gauge metal.
Practice TIG welding on some 22 gauge metal.
Also, a funny story to share... when I work on my Caddy in the driveway I have the garage door open so I have easy access to all my tools, however when people drive by they can also see the 356 mounted in the rotisserie. A lot of people slow down to look and occasionally people stop to talk, usually older guys who remember when they had one or a friend, family member did, etc. I always enjoy hearing people telling their story and they always leave feeling a little better that I'm trying to restore one in my garage. I usually feel better too as no one has called me crazy yet, at least not to my face :shock: So it's a win/win. Anyway, yesterday a guy drives by makes a u turn and stops. He introduces himself as Chris and we get to talking and he's asking what my plans are with it. After a few minutes he says he has a 64 and we then get to talking about engines and he says very nonchalantly... "my brother Dean makes a cut down 6 cylinder engine" Which I respond to "you mean, Dean Polopolous, as in the Polo motor." "Yep that's him" he says. So fast forward about 20 minutes and I'm listening to stories about Gary Emory and outlaws and the first race that Milt Milner drove with the prototype Polo motor in Mexico, Chris was his navigator. Anyway, it was a fun time hearing the stories and all just because I left the garage door open. Chris asked if he could stop by again next time he was in the area and I told him he was welcome anytime, hopefully he does!

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#56 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey Trevor, Congratulations on the TIG welding. That is a machine I would love to have for my shop, along with a tube bender oh and an English; well you know you can never have enough equipment. :wink: Cool story on your visitors. Its a small world for sure. I have to admit leaving my garage door up while I work is one practice I do not do. I try and keep a very low profile where I'm at. I'm too paranoid about strangers driving by. I don't want some Meth-head to see whats going on in my shop and later come for my tools and what ever else they could run of with to fuel thier disease.
Anyway keep at it! looking forward to some progress shots. Justin

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#57 Post by Trevor Gates »

Thanks Justin, the TIG welder wasn't too bad of a hit on my wallet, I got it from Eastwood. I haven't had a "need" for the other tools, but if I try hard enough I might :D

Meth-head, that is funny, well maybe not if they are walking around, but I haven't heard that term before.

I'm looking forward to making some progress as well!

Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

#58 Post by Tom Perazzo »

Great job on the TIG practice. No holes in 22 Ga is something to be proud of! And of course practice makes perfect.

Sounds like you need a Polo motor now that you have the connection :)

Looking forward to more progress pics from you! If you need to "phone a friend" you can call me.

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#59 Post by Trevor Gates »

Thanks Tom! I don't know if a Polo motor is in my future or not yet, I certainly like the idea of all that horsepower and torque though. I'm really looking for forward to seeing Justin's engine come together, those pictures of the heads he just posted to mate to the Polo case look beautiful.

A few days ago, I tried welding two pieces together. This is 20 gauge, so exactly the same thickness of all the pieces I'll be welding in the car. A few very small holes where I got the metal too hot, but overall I'm very happy for my first time. Some more practice and then I think I'm ready to try fitting some patches on the car...
Attachments
Setting up two pieces to be welded.
Setting up two pieces to be welded.
First time joining two pieces together.  The heat zone is about 1"~1.25" wide.
First time joining two pieces together. The heat zone is about 1"~1.25" wide.
Top two weld beads are the back of the weld, the third bottom weld bead is the front.
Top two weld beads are the back of the weld, the third bottom weld bead is the front.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#60 Post by Trevor Gates »

This weekend I went to OCTO and scored this original Chick Iverson license plate frame with the Porsche logo. Because the original owner of my car lived in Newport Beach I was pretty happy to find it. It is not for sale (even for ridiculous money) which I was offered just walking around with it after I bought it.
IMG_2311.jpg
I also bumped into Mark Pribanic. He made the journey all the way from Florida with a friend and that friend's 1953 bus just to be part of the barndoor gathering at OCTO this year. As I understand it he's on a 90 day Registry time-out over something, but I hope to see him back here sooner than that for "time off for good behavior". Safe travels Mark!
Attachments
IMG_2268.jpg