License Plate Bracket?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Curt Crowell
356 Fan

Re: License Plate Bracket?

#31 Post by Curt Crowell »

I wanted to keep the license as far out of the way as possible, used some aluminum bars. Hopefully I won't hit anything that pushes the frame back into sheet metal. Strange looking horn is Bosch 12volt. Have a Speedster with no front plate, haven't been stopped in Illinois or Wisconsin---yet. Curt Crowell
Attachments
64License frame.jpg
Ft view.jpg

John Copello
356 Fan
Tag: Gt johnny

#32 Post by John Copello »

i have a A model lic plate holder as well.
Attachments
P1010286.jpg

Alan Klingen
356 Fan

#33 Post by Alan Klingen »

Here at my shop, in San Francisco, I must see at least one Porsche a week being tagged for no front plate. BTW it will be a ticket from $50-125. The cops just prowl the streets and check the parked cars. If you can stand this we have just directly bolted the plate to the body under the bumper on the T5 and T6. I know its 2 holes in the body but it looks clean and not too ugly. And here in California rust is not an issue.

Alan

steve cook2
356 Fan

#34 Post by steve cook2 »

I just found out John is no longer making these brackets. Is there anyone else producing a front bracket for a 356c?

Al Zim
356 Fan

#35 Post by Al Zim »

One of my technicians has made a bracket for the rear plate that attaches between the bumper and the body of the car. No holes drilled in the back of the car. This will probably not work with the shine up light but should work with the shine down light and the B/C cars. If there is interest I will be glad to quote a price.
Texas only requires one Antique plate. If you use a Year Of Manufacture then two plates are required. A 5 year plate is $50.00 plus a 10 dollar bridge fee. No inspection and no stickers for the windshield.
Cool is located just West of Ft. Worth between Weatherford (birth place of Mary Martin) and Mineral wells. Its not cool now. al zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Mike Acebo
356 Fan

#36 Post by Mike Acebo »

Steve,
Try to follow me on this. Your C has two drain holes in the bottom of the bumper. Buy a piece of aluminum tubing, say 1" OD. Cut a piece about 3/4" long off and cut that in half (make two U shaped pieces). Buy a piece of angle aluminum, say 1.5" x 1.5" and cut a piece the length of the license plate. Drill two holes for the plate on one side and two holes for bolts up through the drain holes in the bumper. Drill a bolt hole through the two U shaped pieces you made. Mount the angle under the bumper, bolts through the drain holes, through the U shaped pieces (upside down U) with nuts on top. The U shaped pieces let any water drain around & through the bolts in the drain hole (bolts obviously smaller than drain holes). License plate bolts to holes in angle aluminum facing forward. Works fine for me! I can make you one if needed but the hardware store has all your parts on hand.
Mike
C Coupe
P1030893.jpg
P1030894.jpg
P1030895.jpg

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#37 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike,
I sort of 'cut out the middle man' and bent the top 3/4" or so of the plate forward and drilled new holes in it to mate with the bumper holes.
Cops can see the number and I've never seen one energetic enough to lean down to see if I 'modified' the plate.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#38 Post by Alex Mestas »

I agree with Ron. Here is another alternative. If you must have a front license plate, and you want to keep it low cost, all it takes is a drilling a couple of small holes and use a pair of nut with bolts, plus a couple of rubber pieces cut on an angle to offset the plate, so it hangs straight. Make sure you align the plate on the center of the bumper.

Mine came installed when I got it from the original owner, 30 years ago, so I don't know if he installed it, or if it was installed by the dealer Trans Ocean Motors. Seems like a simple low cost installation.
Attachments
Plate.jpeg
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

John Copello
356 Fan
Tag: Gt johnny

#39 Post by John Copello »

i got a coupe of inquires , i dont have any A, or B/C plate holders adv . and im not intrested in running anymore. sorry folks

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#40 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Centered or not, its still a nice solution.

Earl Belcher
356 Fan

#41 Post by Earl Belcher »

Looking for an Front License Plate Holder (No Drilling) for an 1957 Porsche 356 Speedster