Engine Decals

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Christopher Wettstein
356 Fan

Engine Decals

#1 Post by Christopher Wettstein »

Hello, does anybody know where I can purchase some stickers for a 356 engine instead of decals? For example the oil filter housing, coil, air filter, fan housing, etc.. Thanks, Chris

Frederick Adler
356 Fan

Re: Engine Decals

#2 Post by Frederick Adler »

There is a set on ebay now.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#3 Post by Barry Brisco »

Frederick, I searched ebay for "porsche 356 engine stickers" and "porsche 356 engine decals" and I got "0 matches". Would you like to provide a link to what you are referring to?

Thanks,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#4 Post by Peter Silten »

Here is one of the items I found on eBay. FYI, I just typed in Porsche 356 decal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche- ... ccessories

Here's another for the same product from a different seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-356-brand-n ... 3cb7cd57dd

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#5 Post by Barry Brisco »

Peter, both of those ebay ads state they are selling "decals". The person who started this topic, Christopher Wettstein, says he wants "some stickers for a 356 engine instead of decals".

I am not aware of anyone making authentic looking 356 engine "stickers". Were the originals decals or stickers? I'm thinking decals, though maybe the coil had a sticker on it.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#6 Post by Peter Silten »

Barry,

The seller describes what he is selling as follows: "Some people sell "water transfer decals", They are difficult to apply and do not last. OUR decals are the real deal. No water transfers here!" I have no idea what that means. If they are not "water transfers," which in my book are what I would call decals, what are they? I guess the fellow who is interested in buying a set of decals/stickers should contact the seller to find out exactly what he is selling.

Regards,

Peter

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#7 Post by Barry Brisco »

Peter, I agree, the seller's description is confusing. Apparently everyone does not define "decal" the same. :-)

Chris, there have been discussions on 356Talk about how to protect decals so they last a long time. See the topic "Any tips on water base decal install" at http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/t ... lit=decals and also these topics:

http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=decal
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=decal

I used the 356Talk Search function and searched for "decals".

Best regards,
Barry Brisco

michael nelson
356 Fan

#8 Post by michael nelson »

NLA has the good ones. Don't use stoddards, they fall apart in water

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#9 Post by Tom Tate »

I have a VERY large supply of the valve adjustment stickers ( all types N S C SC )and some oil filter and air filter stickers( Zenith canisters) and some for Bosch coils (6v). I also have some shift pattern decals that go on the inside of the front windshield for that final touch, two different types depending on year. They are all vinyl with a peel off backing that will last longer that you will. $5 each shipping to CONUS free. Give me a shout if you want a few spares. KTF
Attachments
Engine decals.jpg

Len Christie
356 Fan

#10 Post by Len Christie »

Where do I find help on placement and selection of "stickers" or 'decals" for my '64 SC cab, you seemed to have had lost and knowledge too

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Harrison »

That post from Michael is 100% right on....I tried the Stoddard decal for the Mann oil filter and it simply dissolved. It just went to pieces from the very slightest movement once it was wet. Bummer.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#12 Post by Emil Wojcik »

My water transfer decals were purchased from Stoddards and were easy to apply and have so far held up perfectly...still look new. They were applied over 10 years ago. Perhaps the newer batches are a problem?
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Frazer Carless
356 Fan

#13 Post by Frazer Carless »

Darrin, there is a company in England who makes "stickers" for Porsche 356, as distinct from water transfers. Try: shine@groupharrington.com I have purchased a number of sets from them over the years and they are good. Frazer, (Melbourne, Australia)
PS - they call them decals, but they are stickers!!!!!

Etienne Kerkhoffs
356 Fan

#14 Post by Etienne Kerkhoffs »

The engine fanhouse decals and/or stickers that are currently being sold are not correct for the 356A. Both T1 and T2 had the valve clearance only stated in metric values while the T1 decal had a black edge, instead of red. The text of the T2 decal was straight, while T1 and B/C was Italic. (you can see the T2 type very good in Neil's book and can compare it with the ones being sold. Besides the aforementioned differences, the positions of the numbers and 'arrows' is a little bit different). I have asked at several places but no one is selling the correct ones. So I'll make mine myself or have them made with a high quality laser printer. Silk screen printing is too expensive for a small batch.
Etienne Kerkhoffs
1958 356A T2 Sunroof Coupe

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#15 Post by Mark Reich »

When using water transfers, I highly recommend decal set solution, which is available in hobby shops. The solution is applied to the part on which the decal is to be laid, and the decal is then slid into place. The solution make it very easy to move the decal around for positioning and helps smooth it out over contoured surfaces and get rid of air bubbles. I also brushed on a clear coat over my H-Filter decal, and it has remained as good as new. I have done this twice (before and after the filter cover was repainted) and have never seen any deterioration of the decal. The first decal can from Stoddards, the second from my mechanic.
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue