Tool kit bag, original color?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
John Wurner
356 Fan

Tool kit bag, original color?

#1 Post by John Wurner »

I have two tool kits, one of which has the Klein screw drivers, the other the 10000 volts drivers.
Both are black outside with gray or light insides.
I was advised by registry members that all C bags were black inside, but looking at Dr Johnson,s book, they show light gray for B and C bags.
Anyone have the answers? Here are pics.
Thanks, John
Attachments
tool bag rusty clips open.JPG

John Wurner
356 Fan

Re: Tool kiy bag, original color?

#2 Post by John Wurner »

Here is the second bag with the Klein drivers
Attachments
Tool bag C, Klein scdrvrs.JPG

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#3 Post by Jim Breazeale »

John

Those bags are for 912s, I'm pretty sure. Please take a photo of the latches and I can say for sure. 356C bags came in many different colors and used a different grade of vinyl. White, reddish brown, blue are a few of the colors for C bags. I'm sure there are more.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Jim Breazeale »

"I was advised by registry members that all C bags were black inside"

John

That is a great big bunch of crap! I can't believe that you could find one, let alone multiple "Registry Members" that were smoking wackytabaky at the time they gave you that, grossly false, misinformation.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com

John Wurner
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Wurner »

Thanks, Jim.
I also posed that question to Eric Chernoff since Adam used him as a reference. I will tell him to lay off the wacktabacky.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Jim Breazeale »

John

I find it hard to believe that Eric would tell you that C tool kits were black on the inside. He is very clear in his website to point out that C tool kits were the same color on the inside as the outside. Eric has done extensive research on tool kits and continues to do so. Eric provides a wealth of valuable, accurate, information. 912 Tool bags like yours have a slightly arraingement with the latches. A picture of your bag with both halves of the latch would confirm whether you have a C or 912 bag. I have never seen a black C bag, though.

Regards

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#7 Post by Barry Brisco »

John, perhaps you misunderstood what Eric told you, but if you go to his web page about toolbags at http://www.356.ca/tools/toolbags.htm you will see photos of C bags at the bottom of that page. Here is one of them:

Eric describes the C bags as:
Eric Cherneff wrote:all new design, uses clips rather than belt to close
-seven pockets on one side, with three pockets plus a lugwrench pouch with snap on the other side
-inner material is same as the outer (i.e., cloth backing doesn't show as it does on A/B tool kits) due to double thickness
-colors/pattern:
-smooth black, black stitching
-light grey, off-white stitching, similar (but not identical) grain pattern to A/B bags
-dark grey, dark grey stitching, similar (but not identical) grain pattern to A/B bags
-red, smooth vinyl
Clearly there were several different colors of 356C toolbags.

Since your toolkit photos show the inner liner being different from the outer material, and based on the "7 & 4" pocket design, your bag appears to be a 912 bag.

I note that you often post 912 items for sale. I would refer you to Brett Johnson's early 911/912 book (well worth buying if you don't have a copy) on page 44 that shows toolkit bags.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

John Wurner
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Wurner »

I have not heard from Eric, I only posed the question to him.
I think you are correct that these are 12/911 tool bags.
John

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#9 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Here's what my website says about C bags:
-all new design, uses clips rather than belt to close
-seven pockets on one side, with three pockets plus a lugwrench pouch with snap on the other side
-inner material is same as the outer (i.e., cloth backing doesn't show as it does on A/B tool kits) due to double thickness
-colors/pattern:
-smooth black, black stitching
-light grey, off-white stitching, similar (but not identical) grain pattern to A/B bags
-dark grey, dark grey stitching, similar (but not identical) grain pattern to A/B bags
-red, smooth vinyl

I never said they were black on the inside! I implied that the inside color is the same as the outside, but I was actually referring to the material itself, not necessarily the color because I'm not sure (I think the C's are same color inside and out - can anyone help?).

I think Jim was alluding to this: the C kits had a little flap of fabric at each latch to act as a "pull" when opening them. Can anyone confirm this is C-only?

As always, comments/observations from those "in-the-know" are greatly appreciated.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

356 Registry database manager

Charlie White
356 Fan

#10 Post by Charlie White »

Here are two black tool kits. The differences are 1. the toolkit material is smooth in one case, and 2. there are differences in the latches. This difference is what I think Jim B. was referring to. One has latches with a little "leather" tab above the latch to pull the kit open. The other has a metal bar on the top part of the latch which is pushed up to free the catch and open the kit. I believe the one on top with the smooth material and the tab on the latches is the "C" kit, and the one on the bottom is the 912 took kit. I could be wrong.

CW
Attachments
C912Toolkits.jpg
Charlie White

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#11 Post by Richard Milstead »

All,
Charlie's photo is an excellent representation of the exterior differences between the "C" bags and the early 911/912 bags. The little fabric tab on "C" bags and the differences in the type of fastner attachments are quite representative of the two as is the visable difference between the vinyl surface texture at least with respect to the smooth black vinyl version of the "C" bag. I personally have owned "C" bags in black, three different shades of gray (with different textures), blue and brown. I have seen tan and green, The brown bag I owned was an example of a two tone bag where the interior was in a light tan or beige similar to the arrangement of the later 911/912 bags and the out side was a dark brown but it was definitely a "C" bag. Incidently based on John's pictures I would say that both kits are definitely 912 based upon the longer spark plug wrench configuration. The one with the "10000 volt" drivers is a 69 or possibly a late 68 because the driver style changed sometime in that time frame. Most experts say that the 65 through 68 911/912 tool kits came with "Klein" drivers. Personally while not an expert I would believe that some late 68 kits could have come with "10000 volt" versions unless evidence to the contrary can be produced. However. most probably were equiped with "Kleins".
Dick MIlstead
Dick Milstead

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

For the record, I told John that if those were C toolkits the insides would match the outer material, in this case black, but not that all C tool bags have black insides.
Jim and his crew are the Cali types who are more known for smoking the wackadoie, not us hard working east coast upstanding members of the Porsche community.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#13 Post by Sterling Vaden »

When I saw those toolkits I immediately began to salivate uncontrollably.

The one with the "1000V" screwdrivers is for a '69, and the one with the "klein" screwdrivers would be for the '65-'68 model years.

Of course, 912 toolkits are relatively worthless, when compared to 356 toolkits, so I would volunteer to take them off your hands for only a nominal fee... (tongue held firmly in cheek).

:D
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

John Wurner
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Wurner »

Thanks guys.
The answer is now clear and I appreciate the help.
The phrase "little known facts of doubtful value" might apply here.
John

Charlie White
356 Fan

#15 Post by Charlie White »

This morning, I was putting away the two tool kits I photographed yesterday, and posted previously, and I found a another tool kit which has the characteristics of BOTH of the tool kits I photographed previously, the "leather" tab and the metal bar!

CW
Attachments
C912toolkit03.jpg
Charlie White