Silver for Knecht mesh air cleaners

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Ken Daugherty
356 Fan

Silver for Knecht mesh air cleaners

#1 Post by Ken Daugherty »

What is the correct silver color match for the Knecht mesh air cleaners?
I have three sets that have just been soda blasted, Rinsed in vinegar solution to neutralize the soda and hot air dried, Now ready for correct color.

Share info with list and also reply direct.
Thanks
Ken Daugherty
kend356@insightbb.com
Ken Daugherty

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: Silver for Knecht mesh air cleaners

#2 Post by Alan Hall »

Ken,
I like to give them a light coat of epoxy primer followed by Eastwood's "Detail Silver", one of the few Eastwood products I like! Won't swear it is a match to original, but it looks right to me.
Alan

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I know NLA also sells a silver that is for the wipers, etc. that is a close match and, Krylon dull aluminum is also close. I used NLA's followed by a coat of clear.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Keith Mattioli
356 Fan

#4 Post by Keith Mattioli »

I've been looking for recommendations on Knecht mesh air cleaner paint. While doing some research on the net, I stumbled across this site http://www.jefflilly.com/fabrication/silver-paints/ that compares silver spray paints for use in automotive restoration. Of course take the images supplied with a grain of salt -- differences in monitors, etc, but I found some useful information in here.

I've seen some good results with Krylon Dull Aluminum, but Eastwood Detail Silver appears to be a slightly closer match to the original paint color. Granted the paint may well have darkened from years in the engine compartment. I plan to pick up some Eastwood and test it side-by-side with the Dull Aluminum and see what produces the closes match in color and sheen to the original.

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#5 Post by Heidi Frances »

That's a good site Keith. So many variations!

I believe Eva's cleaners are the original paint. Probably they are a bit different than when they were new, but we should be able to get some idea... When I talked to Bruce, he mentioned not stripping the inside as they are very difficult to paint properly inside and they can start to rust. Just a thought...

I guess I need to get to this in the next three weeks!

Franny