356 Luggage

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Terenzio
356 Fan

356 Luggage

#1 Post by Dennis Terenzio »

Here are a few pictures of the luggage that came with my "new" '62 T6 Super coupe. Is this just plain cheap aftermarket luggage that happens to fit well in the trunk or is this original Porsche luggage? I know the luggage is at least 30 years old. I was told this came in the car from the original owner. In the lower photo on top of the luggage are two red wooden boards. Anyone know what these go to?

Thanks,

~dennis
1962 T-6 Super Coupe
1964 SC Sunroof Coupe

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: 356 Luggage

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Dennis, go to Charlie White's web page showing 356B factory options and accessories at http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Porchrat/3 ... ories.html. Scroll way down the page to the photo captioned "Canvas Suitcase, small, red/black, under front hood". Looks just like what you've got! And yours looks in good shape too. Here is the photo on Charlie's site:

As to the red boards, could they be side stiffeners (battens, some would call them) that go inside the suitcase to hold its shape? Note how the position you show your luggage in is different than the factory photo. To get the luggage into your position the sides have to be pushed in, which probably isn't possible with the battens in place. Just my guess...

Barry
Dennis Terenzio wrote:Here are a few pictures of the luggage that came with my "new" '62 T6 Super coupe. Is this just plain cheap aftermarket luggage that happens to fit well in the trunk or is this original Porsche luggage? I know the luggage is at least 30 years old. I was told this came in the car from the original owner. In the lower photo on top of the luggage are two red wooden boards. Anyone know what these go to?

Chris Stavros
356 Fan

Porsche Luggage

#3 Post by Chris Stavros »

You are very lucky, this is a true and authentic piece of Porsche Luggage. I have the complete set which was given to me by the original owner of a 1962 Super 90 Coupe.

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

Re: 356 Luggage

#4 Post by Richard Milstead »

Barry,
Actually the piece, while definitely Porsche and period correct, is not the same as the one from 62 accessories catalog that you posted. That specific form is shown only in that catalog in the the vinyl version. Black and brown vinyl as well as the Red/Black Plaid Canvas material was used to make this specific form and each carry distinct numbers in the accessories listing. I have attached the picture from Charlie White's website and a picture of the an original vinyl bag in black to show this.The Red/Black canvas material was also used to make two other forms for under the hood (one of which you show) and a small bag intended to fit behind the back seats.
For some time I have been trying to assemble a photographic compendium of original pieces as well as dimensional and construction information with the ultimate goal of doing an article for the Registry magazine to document the T-6/C luggage forms. I will make a plea that if there are any members having pieces in their possession who would be willing to help in this I would be very grateful for assistence. They can contact me either through PM or direct email, a356cguy@aol.com.

Dick Milstead

Dick Milstead

Dennis Terenzio
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dennis Terenzio »

Thank you for helping to identify the luggage. It's in good shape but the zipper is coming un-sewn. It's good to know that I should hang onto and repair it rather than fill the landfill with a rare piece. Dick, any info I can provide from it is yours.

Thanks,
~dennis
1962 T6 Super Coupe
1964 SC Sunroof Coupe