Stolen vehicle

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter Bosch
356 Fan

Re: Stolen vehicle

#16 Post by Peter Bosch »

"Henry, I do not see where Wim had stated the selling price of the car in question, nor any reference in this topic to a "$24K" price. Where did you find that figure?

Best regards,"

Just maths, 30% was unpaid, and he paid 17000 = 70%
'58 hardtop cab
bt5 aka "Da chair"
'62 hardtop cab with soft
'66 sliding door samba, hmm, 21 windows to clean
 on the lookout for a speedster ;) found one in 2017! '55 pré-a

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#17 Post by Barry Brisco »

I don't see where Wim posted that he paid $17,000 as part of that transaction. Guess I need more coffee this morning...

Dennis Grist posted that he believes he looked at the same car when it was for sale in Southern California not long ago, asking price around $50K. We don't know if the car Dennis saw is definitely the same one Wim was trying to buy. Or perhaps Wim was being scammed using photos from an online ad for the car Dennis saw.

Barry

Peter Bosch
356 Fan

#18 Post by Peter Bosch »

Barry Brisco wrote:I don't see where Wim posted that he paid $17,000 as part of that transaction. Guess I need more coffee this morning...

Dennis Grist posted that he believes he looked at the same car when it was for sale in Southern California not long ago, asking price around $50K. We don't know if the car Dennis saw is definitely the same one Wim was trying to buy. Or perhaps Wim was being scammed using photos from an online ad for the car Dennis saw.

Barry

the stepfather sent $2000 with renewed my faith. Nothing since August. I am still out $15K
'58 hardtop cab
bt5 aka "Da chair"
'62 hardtop cab with soft
'66 sliding door samba, hmm, 21 windows to clean
 on the lookout for a speedster ;) found one in 2017! '55 pré-a

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#19 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hopefully Wim will clarify this question. The car pictured in the few photos certainly does not look like a $24K car. It appears to be worth much more than that unless it was missing the engine, transaxle, and floor pans!

Barry

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

The couple of times that I have had problems in other cities I have had good luck with help from the local police. I always ask to speak to the Detective Division, so you aren't just dealing with someone who answers the phone.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Wim van der Horst
356 Fan

#21 Post by Wim van der Horst »

No, I know the car was worth more than 24K. It was my car that was displayed in an earlier post. The same pictures, CofA, VIN and everything. I have not yet talked to Tom Drummond about where he got the car. I talked to this Jeff this morning who makes it sound like he is the victim. I realize that someone can steal pictures off the web but how did he get a copy of the title? Jeff said that he would pay some money every week but that promise has been made before. He also mentioned that if I get the FBI or police after him I would not get anything.
Maybe there is somebody near Coral Gables who can take a look at t is guy for me.
I have been in the car business since 1955 and this is the first time Ihave been so severely. Must be my old age catching up with me.
Anyway, I will let all of you know how this develops.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#22 Post by Adam Wright »

Wm-
Here is my advice, and I have dealt with variations of this kind of thing before.
1. Talk to the family one more time, make sure they have your cell phone number, this is very important, it will make more sense later.
2. Fly to whatever city he is in, present yourself and all of your evidence at the local police station, they will have no choice but to arrest the guy and depending on how hard of hardball you want to play, you can have the step-father arrested too, as an accomplice.
3. Within a few hours of the arrest or arrests, your phone will probably ring with the family wanting to make this go away. This is your one and only chance to recover money, it is the only time you will have any form of leverage. Settle with the family with as much as you can, even if it is not the full amount owed. Play hard, tell them you will go all the way and they had better call their grandma, get a 2nd on the house, cash out the IRA, or find our where Jeff hid YOUR money, but you want your money.
4. Collect what you can, drop the charges, get on a plane and go home.

This guy will never pay you, he probably does not have the ability, but the whole family as a whole may be able to come up with some money, or find out where Jeff has your money. Also, when you are on the other side of the country and threaten to call the police it is an empty threat since your aren't there, but when someone is behind bars, wearing the orange jumpsuit, and eating Bologna sandwiches three times a day, it gets their attention.

Hope this helps.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#23 Post by George Bryan »

Captain, I'm sorry you are out some bucks, but I don't get it. I dont mean to be cold here, but why all this Kabuki theater?

Do I have this right: I mean, you knowingly bought the car well under market thinking you scored big as a dealer...but you didnt know the car was in CA you thought it in Atlanta. Didnt contact anyone in Atlanta to check it out as there are a LOT of 356 guys there including some dealers who never seem to sleep; A number of months go by then the guy sends you 2 grand back; so then you report to us the car is stolen (but did you ever really own the car? you never verified the title?); then guys tell you about GBI etc after this lapse in time and you get a run around because the trail is cold etc etc and all these players are maybe gone; then out of the clear blue after all the kabuki with police & us you contact this Jeff guy today, HE REPLIES, and he promises you money, so you must have had a way to contact him all along; You still haven't talked to Tom after you got info the car was sold at Tom's but you havent picked up the phone to Tom for some fact finding...but you want a Registry guy to go to Coral Gables since you now dont want police involved (but its OK for a Registry guy to go there and what collect your $...maybe get shot?)....I don't get it.

Sorry, guess I am obtuse. What is the real story? What am I missing here? An enquiring mind wants to know.

Hope you can get it resolved, even if the resolution is just one of those life's learned lessons about buying & selling cars. If you have some evidence go to Coral Gables yourself and present it like Adam suggests...but I still dont understand the kabuki.

Best of luck in your quest,
George

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#24 Post by Bob Forman »

Perhaps a lawyer in the group can elucidate, but wouldn't the threat of not repaying the money if the authorities are involved constitute extortion? That might sweeten the pot a bit for the DA to take notice and pile on the charges. Then a plea bargain can put the guy in the gray bar hotel with little fuss. In any case, this alleged theif of the first order ought to be brought to justice.
Bob Forman

Wim van der Horst
356 Fan

#25 Post by Wim van der Horst »

Yes, there must be something done about this guy. Adam suggested that I go to Florida myself and I might just do that.

Jim Jarzabek
356 Fan

Curious how this turned out?

#26 Post by Jim Jarzabek »

George Bryan wrote:Captain, I'm sorry you are out some bucks, but I don't get it. I dont mean to be cold here, but why all this Kabuki theater?

Do I have this right: I mean, you knowingly bought the car well under market thinking you scored big as a dealer...but you didnt know the car was in CA you thought it in Atlanta. Didnt contact anyone in Atlanta to check it out as there are a LOT of 356 guys there including some dealers who never seem to sleep; A number of months go by then the guy sends you 2 grand back; so then you report to us the car is stolen (but did you ever really own the car? you never verified the title?); then guys tell you about GBI etc after this lapse in time and you get a run around because the trail is cold etc etc and all these players are maybe gone; then out of the clear blue after all the kabuki with police & us you contact this Jeff guy today, HE REPLIES, and he promises you money, so you must have had a way to contact him all along; You still haven't talked to Tom after you got info the car was sold at Tom's but you havent picked up the phone to Tom for some fact finding...but you want a Registry guy to go to Coral Gables since you now dont want police involved (but its OK for a Registry guy to go there and what collect your $...maybe get shot?)....I don't get it.

Sorry, guess I am obtuse. What is the real story? What am I missing here? An enquiring mind wants to know.

Hope you can get it resolved, even if the resolution is just one of those life's learned lessons about buying & selling cars. If you have some evidence go to Coral Gables yourself and present it like Adam suggests...but I still dont understand the kabuki.

Best of luck in your quest,
George

George,

There has been no reply to your post ...
I read thru the Thread & it seems you kinda hit the nail on the head :idea:

I wouldn't call this a 'Stolen Car' .....

Just wondering how this turned out?

Jim
[b][i]Jim is on the road @ http://www.trulyvintagetrailers.citymax.com/classiccartransport.html[/b][/i]

Wim van der Horst
356 Fan

#27 Post by Wim van der Horst »

I am ashamed to admit that I was stupid. I was referred to this man by a very reliable relation (still is). There are many things I would like to know and find out but that is probably not going to happen. The story got interesting when his step-father (?) called told me the guy had tried to commit suicide. (Maybe?)
Some money is being paid back but very slowly. You are correct with all your assumptions and I am learning not to be trusting anymore. I come from an era where a handshake was enough to seal a deal and you did not need five lawyers.
The response from the list regarding this disaster was heartwarming and I thank all who responded with advice. I will ask for it before I think about doing something stupid next time!

BTW, it is interesting to find another person who likes Kabuki!! Where did you see it?