Stolen vehicle

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wim van der Horst
356 Fan

Stolen vehicle

#1 Post by Wim van der Horst »

I bought a 64 SC coupe in Atlanta, Georgia and it was to be delivered on 17 July to my representative who would pay the seller the last 30% of the selling price. The car was not delivered and all contact has been broken off. The serial number is 218455. The car is now black, originally red. Seller's name is Ernest T Slavis. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Omar Almada
356 Fan

Re: Stolen vehicle

#2 Post by Omar Almada »

Sorry to ear about that, If a new 64 coupe SC shows around here I will let you know.
53cabrio+56speedster

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Can you provide more info? Where was it advertised? Has the guy just dissappeared? Have you contacted the GBI?

There is a guy on craigslist advertising 356s all over FL who is ripping people off.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Wim van der Horst
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wim van der Horst »

The story is convoluted. I was made aware of a fellow named Jeff Warren Toll in CoraL Gables, FL who works with an auto transport company, Global Logistics. He indicated that he had this car he could sell. He send me a copy of a Wisconsin title but the car was in Atlanta. I received several pictures of a very good looking 64. I later found out that a saleman, Nick, connected with J&B Auto and Truck sales in Pompano Beach, Fl, was the in-between man. He was fired for working behind his boss's, Bert, back. I then obtained the emaill address and the phone number of Ernest T Slavis, who supposedly, together with his brother, owns the car. I emailed and contacted him a number of times and all seemed to be well. One of our 356 listers promised to help and receive the car for me on 17 July but then everything fell apart and I have not heard from him since. He has not returned any money.
I do not know what the GBI is. Of course I will contact anybody to get to the bottom of this.
Pleasse give me information about GBI.

Thank you all!

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#5 Post by Alex Mestas »

I think Adam meant FBI and it as merely a typo.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

GBI, Georgia Bureau of Investigation, they take stuff
Like this pretty seriously.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Harrison »

That's terrible news. What a hollow feeling that must be.
You might try alerting the SOG (Southern Owners Group) the local 356 club.
They have a website, and maybe the president could use the email list of the group itself to put out the word.
Last edited by Steve Harrison on Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lara Clouse
356 Fan

#8 Post by Lara Clouse »

Terrible news. I wish you luck in getting either the car or your money back. Since you mentioned several states, it probably lies outside the jurisdiction of a state bureau of investigation, but they should be able to notify the proper authorities. Attached is a link to the GBI in case you hadn't found it.

http://gbi.georgia.gov/02/gbi/home/0,26 ... A3587FB221

I'm also attaching a link to local FBI offices if you want to start there first (I would):

http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field
Be the change you want to see in the world.  

Lara Clouse
North Carolina
'59 Convertible D 

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#9 Post by Peter Silten »

I am also sorry to hear about your loss. I would be hopping mad, to say the least, if what happened to you happend to me. I am curious about a couple of things. I hope you don't mind me asking, First, why have you waited over four months to report this to the Registry? As I am sure you know, stolen cars have a way of disappearing into thin air very quickly. Also, perhaps you could fill us in on what has transpired in the interim? Have you notified the authorities? And, if so, who have you notified? You mention a number of individuals who you say were involved in the transaction: (1) Jeff Warren Toll in CoraL Gables, FL who works with an auto transport company called Global Logistics; (2) Nick LNU, connected with J&B Auto and Truck sales in Pompano Beach, Fl, who was the middle-man; and (3) Ernest T. Slavis and his brother, the supposed owners of the car. Do these people actually exist? Have you contacted them in an effort to get this matter resolved and, if so, what do they have to say for themselves? Have you reported them to the police? Do the businesses you mentioned actually exist? Lastly, you mention that you have some photographs of the car. It might be a good idea to post them on the Registry. Maybe someone will recognize the car.

I wish you the best of luck.

Wim van der Horst
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wim van der Horst »

Well, I made a long reply but it suddenly disappeared. I'll try again. I have been given the run around. Georgia B of I told me to go to the Atlanta police who referred me to another one who said go to your local police who said it is out of our jurisdiction. The FBI said we do not do that kind or stuff. The Georgia department of motor vehicles is no help. The Wisconsin DMV says the title has not been cleared. Of course that does not mean that the car is not sold. The reason for the delay is that I was with family in Holland for several months. Jeff's step father called and said Jeff tried suicide. The stepfather sent $2000 with renewed my faith. Nothing since August. I am still out $15K. I need to find people in Atlanta and Coral Gables to help me.

I tried to upload pictures but that does not seem to work anymore.

I appreciate all your interest. Thank you!
Attachments
porscheside.jpg
porscheside.jpg

Wim van der Horst
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wim van der Horst »

Well, after post was submitted, here was a double pic!

I'll try some more:
Attachments
porscheside.jpg
porscheinside.jpg

David Preston
356 Fan

#12 Post by David Preston »

Hello Mr. Van Der Horst -
Of course this is a terrible situation and it hurts all of us to hear of someone in our 356 community being victimized. I have a question/suggestion: how did Jeff's stepfather send you the last $2000 payment? Is his location not traceable? The local police have no choice but to assist. Jeff's stepfather is the perfect place to start.

Since so much money is involved, perhaps a personal trip to Jeff's stepfathers location (presumably in Florida) is a minimal investment of time and money.

You'll get the polices attention, with an in person meeting.

Good luck.

David Preston

Dennis Grist
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dennis Grist »

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation and hope somehow it will be resolved to your satisfaction.
I looked at that car in Costa Mesa in southern California this past summer, but it had already been sold when I came across it. By the way, it was a beauty. My recollection is that they were asking about $50K. It was at Wholesale California.
From your photos I recognized the background, as I check their site with regularity, and I have included their site here with photos of your car. Perhaps they can supply you or the authorities with some additional information, but my guess would be that it was a scam from the beginning and they used photos from WC. I hope I am wrong.

http://wholesalecalifornia.com/html10/65_blk_sc.html

Best of Luck
Dennis Grist
1964 SC Coupe

Henry Ramirez
356 Fan

#14 Post by Henry Ramirez »

Bummer of a story. $24K seems way low for such a beauty and that was quite an orchestrated scam to take place in several states and thus allow the authorities to wiggle out of responsibility! Then playing on the heart-strings with the attempted suicide and the long period of inactivity leads me to think it's time to involve a professional sleuth. :( Henry

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#15 Post by Barry Brisco »

Henry Ramirez wrote:$24K seems way low for such a beauty and that was quite an orchestrated scam...
Henry, I do not see where Wim had stated the selling price of the car in question, nor any reference in this topic to a "$24K" price. Where did you find that figure?

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)