Who is selling : Technomagnesio" magnesium alloy wheels

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ibrahim Kuzu
356 Fan

Who is selling : Technomagnesio" magnesium alloy wheels

#1 Post by Ibrahim Kuzu »

Friend wants to know who is selling these wheels and the cost...
Thank you for your help,
Ibrahim Kuzu
# 5145

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Who is selling : Technomagnesio" magnesium alloy wheels

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

Ibrahim,

call peter McCurdy in Phoenix, he has them. I'll pm you his phone number.... if I find out how.

:shock:
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

FYI, In spite of the "...magnesio" name, these wheels are not magnesium. They are aluminum and weigh (nearly 13 lbs) almost as much as equivalent size steel wheels.

Wheels previously sold under the name MgTEK were magnesium with a weight of 9.0 lbs.

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#4 Post by Gary Koehler »

In an earlier post, Reinhold says that the wheels weigh 12.2 lb. each, and are a mix of aluminum and magnesium, hence they weigh a bit more. They are also a double hump style, probably to get the TUV approval. Here is a portion of that post:

'the wheel is made from an aluminium-magnesium mix, but with more aluminium now as the vintage wheels. the vintage and later repros had no street homologation, made for race use only. to pass the very rigorous German TUV tests + get them street approved the had to rise the aluminium part to make it stronger, about this the higher weight'

Ibrahim Kuzu
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ibrahim Kuzu »

Thank you every one,got the info and forwarded to my friend....
IK

Peter McCurdy
356 Fan

#6 Post by Peter McCurdy »

As the only person selling the NEW Tecnomagnesio Wheels in the US, I feel there are a few facts that need to be cleared up. Yes, the Tecnomagnesio Wheels are now a hybrid Aluminum/Magnesium mix. This was done to increase the strength of the new wheels and to get the wheels DOT and TUV approved. The new Tecnomagnesio wheels are the only wheels approved for use in the US on the street as the old wheels were for racing only. The weight of the new wheel is 12.2 pounds. The repop and original wheels were 9 pounds, but you have to use a tube with them so the weight is about a wash. The new Tecnomagnesio Wheels ARE NOT repro's. They are a authorized by Tecnomagnesio, made in the original foundry with the original drawings. The wheels are powder coated the correct German racing silver and are supplied with lug nuts. If anyone has any questions or would like any more information, please feel free to contact me.

Peter McCurdy
Midnight Auto
midnightauto@hotmail.com
Last edited by Peter McCurdy on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#7 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your post. As the wheels you are selling are authorized by Tecnomagnesio, it would be interesting to see a close up photo of the appearance of the company name on the wheels and compare it to the originals. Here are two photos of what I think are original (meaning "vintage") Tecnomagnesio wheels. Pete, can you post a close up of the wheel you are selling?

Thanks,
Barry

technomagnesio.jpg
Attachments
technomagneso_original_wheel.jpg
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

#8 Post by Guest »

Hello, I'm Andrea Coriani (Classico Corsa)
This is the project for the construction of new Tecnomagnesio modified to have all the necessary certifications and be assured I as seller and you as buyers, we're not talking about using Race but use road with a code and rules.
Make a wheels entirely in magnesium and have the certifications of law today is not possible.
The alloy used is the TMlight that MIM uses for its products better.
Guaranteed by the Company and the quality are undeniable, who has proven he can confirm.
Thank you Peter McCurdy that helps me in sale in THE USA.

Greetings to all and Good Wheels
Attachments
pesi con gomma.jpg
progetto.jpg

#9 Post by Guest »

Original Production 1990 and New Production 2010
Attachments
ETRTO.jpg
ETRTO.jpg (106.4 KiB) Viewed 15586 times
foto4.jpg
foto4.jpg (137.07 KiB) Viewed 15586 times
foto3.jpg
foto1.jpg

Philip R Trenholme
356 Fan

#10 Post by Philip R Trenholme »

I don't use tubes with my Techno Mag wheels. Never a problem in about 25 races.

#11 Post by Guest »

Why Tubless ... If not needed?

"Approval of new vehicles expected that even the tyre being approved and carry-overs written on the side the homologation ECE-ECE Regulations EU 2001/43/EC.

The goal of standards E.T.R.T.O. DESIGNATION is to align the different National Standard in Europe and reach the interchangeability of tyres, rims, valves in order of correct usage and for consumer protection. Establish common characteristics Guide for dimensions, load capacity, pressure and give guidelines for their use. Draw up specifications for road safety, maintenance of tyres.

The standard E.T.R.T. Or is indispensable to obtain the European certifications.

The function of the tire in each use is identified by the rules from a maximum permissible load for a defined speed and a maximum recommended working pressure, the weight of the structure is defined by the manufacturer with the characteristics of the components used.

Dimensions and tolerances defined by the rules for tyres are important in some countries where there are no precise rules requires a certification that the tyres comply with European standards ETRTO. You define the dimensions that the vehicle manufacturer must give the tire in draw frame bearing contodelle various conditions of service; example: Steering, buffer Fund with the crushing of the suspension. It is very important to define the size of the tire and the dimensions for the use of chains when the tire is in service.

All written on the sidewall of the tire must be according to the standards ETRTO and ECE.

The tyre is an organ safety and as such must clearly identify the constructor which responds to every construction defect.

The manufacturer shall not be liable for misuse."

David H Gill
356 Fan

#12 Post by David H Gill »

I was just in Peter McCurdy's shop a few days ago and saw a large pallet of boxed wheels, and a sample wheel on display. The wheel is terrific---very high quality, and very good looking!

Thinking about a set for myself!

David
David H Gill

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#13 Post by Gary Koehler »

David,
Don't know if you noticed when you were there or not, but does Peter also have the longer wheel studs?
Gary

Peter McCurdy
356 Fan

#14 Post by Peter McCurdy »

Gary,
I do have wheels stud in two lengths available. 45mm stud for the stock look and a 60mm stud for more of a race look. The 60mm stud will allow a 10mm Carrera spacer both front and rear and still have enough threads to be safe. If anyone knows of a supplier of Carrera spacers, please let me know. I would like to offer them as an option. The 45mm studs are OEM Porsche and the 60mm are DOT approved, so no worries there. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Peter McCurdy
Midnight Auto
midnightauto@hotmail.com

Peter McCurdy
356 Fan

#15 Post by Peter McCurdy »

I had a request from someone to see the new TECNOMAGNESIO Wheels next to a stock wheel. So I thought I would share it with group as well.

See the Classifieds section for our LA Weekend TECNOMAGNESIO Wheel Special

Peter McCurdy
Midnight Auto
midnightauto@hotmail.com
Attachments
Picture 035 (Small).jpg
Picture 034 (Small).jpg