porche, porshe, poorch, porsh, etc.

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Michael Eker

#1 Post by Michael Eker »

Sometimes it can be amusing to search ebay using the above search strings.

I am constantly amazed that someone could offer a $40,000 dollar car and not know how to spell it's name correctly.

I can see just on ebay.com a "REPAIR & TUNE UP GUIDE FOR THE PORCHE" for $5.50

Elsewhere on the web a banned cookie advert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e89HBOdrNyc

I need to get out more.

meker

Deborah King
356 Fan

Re: porche, porshe, poorch, porsh, etc.

#2 Post by Deborah King »

Michael Eker wrote: Elsewhere on the web a banned cookie advert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e89HBOdrNyc

I need to get out more.

meker
I have a hard time with youtube on this slow laptop. Is this the one where he helps push it over the wall? If so, it's hilarious.

You're right about the spelling and pronunciation of Porsche. What grates my teeth EVERY time he says it, is Jay Leno's "Porsch." He even narrated an entire tv program about Porsches, and it was one syllable every time, unless he was talking about plural Porsches. I've been told that he's been reprimanded, to no effect.
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)

Al Zim
356 Fan

POR-SHA

#3 Post by Al Zim »

That is exactly what the federal judge said to me as I was trying to explain that a person who owned a Porsche should be able to tell the difference between our shop and a dealership. At the time we were in a small concrete building....the result was the judge saying to me get that sign off you building by monday or I will put you in federal prison. al
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Michael Eker

porshe

#4 Post by Michael Eker »

If you think that was bad look what this chappie did to his 928

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/13/vide ... 928-amino/

meker

Ed Broadhead
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ed Broadhead »

Ferry Porsche once said, "I don't care how they pronounce my name as long as they buy my cars"

Ed B :)

#6 Post by Guest »

We live in a distracted world, and spelling isn't a strong suit anywhere on the planet. Pronunciation... now, there's another topic.
I say Porsh-a, you say the Porch... everyone has probably heard the joke about the guy having his house & fence painted.

It could be worse. Every time I see someone advertising their "Alpha" it makes me cringe.
Never mind the "professionals" that do it. Witnesseth:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/alfa-romeo ... r1320.html

Deborah King
356 Fan

Re: POR-SHA

#7 Post by Deborah King »

Al Zim wrote:That is exactly what the federal judge said to me as I was trying to explain that a person who owned a Porsche should be able to tell the difference between our shop and a dealership. At the time we were in a small concrete building....the result was the judge saying to me get that sign off you building by monday or I will put you in federal prison. al
Ridiculous! I'll bet the judge was having a bad year. Makes me wonder what would have happened in another court. I certainly see the word and Porsche emblem all over on buildings just 150 miles south of your shop.
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Deborah King
356 Fan

Re: porshe

#8 Post by Deborah King »

Michael Eker wrote:If you think that was bad look what this chappie did to his 928

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/13/vide ... 928-amino/

meker
How sad. Some people just don't "get it."
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Re: POR-SHA

#9 Post by Guest »

Al Zim wrote:...the result was the judge saying to me get that sign off you building by monday or I will put you in federal prison. al
It's ridiculous because there's is no confusing a dealership for an independant shop: the shop owner is usually the one helping the customer at the indie.

They got lawyers though, and they'll claim lost business. That is precisely why both Porsche and BMW disallow their logos used prominently on independant shops.
Of course, it's BS... lost business comes from treating your customers badly. :shock:

Years ago I designed a marquee for an indie import shop that's now long gone. We got around the "logo" usage issue by having the front clips of a 911, a 2002, and a 280SL nicely finished and mounted on the front of the building. Looked great and there was no doubt what the shop was about.

Deborah King
356 Fan

#10 Post by Deborah King »

I must be looking in all the wrong places. I could SWEAR I've seen these logos and fonts on buildings. I guess I shouldn't swear...
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

#11 Post by Guest »

I have recently bought some Porsche stuff off ebay because it was spelt wrong I look every now and then and I am the only bidder..

all good fun Pooshe fans :D

oh that's a new way I must try that and see what comes up :wink:

#12 Post by Guest »

Couldn't get a bigger hint when it's writen on the side of the car!!!!!

:D :D :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/porche_W0QQitemZ1 ... dZViewItem

Deborah King
356 Fan

#13 Post by Deborah King »

Went to RennFest a few years ago (last one?). Porsche had such a lock on things that the only Porsche shirt I could get was with a picture of Porsche race cars...unless I wanted to wait in a long line at the Porsche tent for shirts that were outrageously expensive!

Then again, I went to Elkhart Lake the same year and got a shirt with the Porsche emblem on it--just like the big guys--only it was $10. Too bad the label was wrong and it didn't fit, especially after washing. Oh well, Hubby got a nice shirt.

See, Al, there ARE people using the logo!
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

#14 Post by Guest »

Al sounds like your Porsche Cars NA are or have been flexing their arms!!

What made me laugh when PCNA came for me because of a 356 resto web site was that there was a team of legal bods in America ... loads of them.. you know with nothing to do but have a go at small people..

In the UK I spoke with Porsche's GB legal team.. he was a nice guy as he was the only ONE person in the office.. he was also their accountant!!

seams a US thing.. sueing and all that jazz... :wink:

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#15 Post by Emil Wojcik »

It’s the existing laws that make companies like Porsche go after businesses that use their name. I’m not a lawyer, but I was COO of an advertising agency and had clients who were constantly going after others just like Porsche. Often, our agency got stuck in the middle. To over simplify it, if they knowingly allow their name, logo, emblem, etc. to be used by someone else they run the risk of loosing the right to that name, logo, etc. Yes there's more to it than that - like it could supposedly devalue the original product by linking it to a substandard product, etc. Some company’s legal departments take this more seriously than others. So some seem to ignore it while others, like Porsche, go to the extreme.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420