Switzerland and northern Italy roads?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Pat Daily
356 Fan

#16 Post by Pat Daily »

If you are going to Innsbruk, your really want to go over Gros Glockner while in that area of Austria. Here is my daughter, Shannon, at the top in 2006.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Deborah King
356 Fan

#17 Post by Deborah King »

Wish I could go to all of them! Unfortunately, with the parameters Hubby gave me--Ferrari museum and Maranello, drive along the coast, and Monaco, that takes us too far south for them. I'm a mountain person, so I'd definitely go to Switzerland and Austria instead. Had to settle for the mountains between Monaco and Milan, which is hard to do unless you go to a place like Briancon. That takes you along the ridge line, at least. And at $8 a gallon, or whatever it is now, and only 6 days...

Next time we go to Switzerland, though if the dollar doesn't improve there won't BE a next time...
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)

Deborah King
356 Fan

#18 Post by Deborah King »

I am vacationing in Italy right now. While strolling in Venice last night, we discovered not just one, but TWO Ferrari merchandise shops! I figured I could get the results for the race, and it was wonderful for them to be announced on the same "level" as how soccer scores would be told. I sure wish the U.S. would really get behind F1, instead of NASCAR. The second store actually had a 2002 Ferrari inside the store, and other than the do-not-touch signs, it was as close as I've even gotten to one, even at Elkhart Lake's vintage races. It was mounted nearly at eye-level, and you could admire everything including the fine exhaust tips, which are (on the 2002 model, anyway) beautifully machined ovals, befitting such a curvatious car!

We will try to drive the Monaco circuit later in the week, if it is not already barricaded, anyway. I've read that it is possible earlier in the week before a race, and I have street-by-street directions...
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Deborah King
356 Fan

#19 Post by Deborah King »

Well, we're back in the good 'ol U.S. of A! Had a great trip--lots of neat roads found in our Alfa 159 (about the size of a 5-series BMW). Our rental car was FREE--bonus from the company, and all we had to pay for was the diesel fuel. People here moan and groan about fuel prices--we had one $120 fill up, and one $135 fill!

Our route was Padua (where Hubby had business), south to the Ferrari museum in Maranello (expensive and disappointing--very few cars). Then it was west to the coast via an SS road to Lucca.

We drove along the coast to Monaco, where we "ran" and also walked the GP course that is next weekend. It appears that the metal barriers are there all year around, because we didn't see any wrench marks on the bolts. The tire barriers, ads, and arches are new, of course. Grandstands are already set up--would have loved to see the race. As it was, we were in the company of Ferraris, Audis, exotic Mercedes that we never see, Aston Martins, Alfas, and all sorts of other neat cars. Plus an old Fiat 500. Tons of MINIs, too! We highly recommend running it any time of the year--no directions needed! We were both astonished at how small the course is, and how tight the turns are. No wonder the F1 cars have difficulty passing in the Monaco GP. Pole position is everything!

From Monaco we went into the mountains toward Briancon. Absolutely stunning scenery, and a really nice twisty road--the Alfa was great! Everything was closed for the season until we got to Aubon, France, where we finally found a restaurant and hotel that was open. It's a nice little community, and must really buzz in ski season. Unfortunately, the "D" road north to Briancon was closed, so we had to go down nearly to Nice to pick up an "N" road, which was open (although not nearly as much fun). After Briancon, (which is quite an historic town), we went east to Italy, once again on a "D" road, which was open.

We headed to the Lakes region, stopping in Stresa, on Lake Maggiore. One of the most beautiful places we've ever been! The lake is gorgeous, and there is a wonderful park running along the lake, with free street parking. Lots of benches, flowers, snow capped mountains in the distance, etc. Even has an offshore castle! One warning--there is a boat that runs to the castle, which is about $16 (10 minute ride), but once you get there you get nicked for an additional $17.50 for entry to the castle. If you don't pay, you're confined to one end of the island where there are shops. We didn't, and went back to Stresa on the next boat.

We had one exciting adventure in Stresa. We were driving down a very narrow twisty road in the city, and we were dreading meeting oncoming cars because it was very difficult to pass. We heard a soft "toot" and suddenly found ourselves facing a huge blue tour bus! :shock: We hit the brakes, and the guy behind us very nearly rear-ended us. The bus couldn't back down, and we had to back up. Lots of cars by that time, and more coming, so eventually we had at least a half dozen who had to back until the bus had the tiniest room to pass. Wow! Quite an experience on what should have been a one-way street.

We went to Como and found it to be horribly congested. Parking was blocks away, had to pay, and there is no park as in Stresa. (At least we couldn't find one.) It was the only city we visited that had litter and cigarette butts, etc. We should have gone just to Stresa, and boogied south on the Autostrada to Milan. By the time we found a hotel reasonably priced (hah!), and near the airport, it was too late to do anything. :( We would have loved to go to the Alfa museum, and had we not spent so much time in Como traffic, we'd have had time. Next time? At least we were driving one...

BTW, George (George of Pure Sh1t, made by Garmin) was pretty useless. He absolutely panicked in the mountains, and was mediocre city to city. He was reasonably helpful in cities, although he didn't know what to do with construction zones. Lots of times in the cities he refused to "recalculate," and when we started on the road to Malpensa Airport in Milan, he put a "can't get there from here" message on the screen. Take one, but don't expect much. Ours was a basic model, so others might have better luck. We found Italian road numbers poorly marked in most places, but France's road markings were excellent all over, as was Monaco's.

Hope the dollar recovers soon if you're headed that way!
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#20 Post by Ashley Page »

We are going on a business trip to Bergamo Italy this fall. Wondering how long of a drive it is to Budapest and Gmund.

How long of a drive to Switzerland.

Planing to stay 7 to 10 days.

I have been to Bergamo in the past but have stuck close to there and Milan. What to see something else this time. Garmin is my navigator (after I fork over for the Europe map).

Michael Eker

#21 Post by Michael Eker »

You can hire a replica 356 in Zurich.

http://www.356california.com/index.php? ... 95&L=2&L=2

If you drive from Bergamo to Zurich you will pass Bellinzona, the service area here has

probably the best service area restaurant in the world, a complete revelation.

If you arrive later than about 11.45 am though it gets very busy.

Zurich to Gmund 7 hours driving
Gmund to Budapest 4 hours

The Swiss and Austrian roads are excellent and you will see good road manners.

In Italy you will have nutters drive right up to your rear at 80Mph with their horns stuck on and headlights flashing.

The drivers in Hungary seem to have little awareness of safety with the result that Hungary has one of the highest road traffic accident rates in Europe.

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%2 ... 8-2001.htm

meker

Deborah King
356 Fan

#22 Post by Deborah King »

Ashley Page wrote:
Garmin is my navigator (after I fork over for the Europe map).
God help ya! Please see my notes about George on May 22. Image Get the map! Michellin makes a giant spiral-bound one covering the entire continent.
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#23 Post by Ashley Page »

Thanks for all the great info.
Michael Eker wrote:If you drive from Bergamo to Zurich you will pass Bellinzona, the service area here has

How long is the drive from Bergamo to Zurich?

Budapest to Milan?

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#24 Post by Ashley Page »

Deborah King wrote:God help ya!
Ok Ok I guess I will have to turn in my man card, buy a map and ask directions. Pitiful - I hope the guys back home don't find out!

Deborah King
356 Fan

#25 Post by Deborah King »

Ashley Page wrote:
Deborah King wrote:God help ya!
Ok Ok I guess I will have to turn in my man card, buy a map and ask directions. Pitiful - I hope the guys back home don't find out!
Why did Moses wander through the desert for 40 years? 'Cause he wouldn't ask directions!

Seriously, the best Italian word I ever learned was "dove'." I found everything from the road to Briancon to the self-service laundromat just by asking...

But, if you really want to rely on George (George of Pure Sh1t), just remember to look before you obey his "turn left in 30 meters" command. Especially when there's a guard rail protecting a cliff in 30 meters. Don't ask me how I know.

(What IS it about men/directions/gadgets anyway???)
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Michael Eker

Bergamo to Zurich

#26 Post by Michael Eker »

About 3 hours depending on traffic.

Avoid Milan in the rush hours.

Milan's population of 1.2 million swells to 2 million each day with commuters.

There is a road, the SS342, from Bergamo to Como, avoiding Milan, but I have never

driven along it, might save lot of time.

meker

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#27 Post by Pat Daily »

Via Michelin website has some wonderful tools and maps--check it out

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/ ... mePage.htm
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA

Deborah King
356 Fan

#28 Post by Deborah King »

The biggest problem with sites like that is that they're great for planning, but unable when actually enroute, or even in many or most of the hotels. In the class we travel in (still an outrageous cost, given the Euro exchange), we generally had only lobby access, if at all.

It's a shame that George and Georgette don't work better.
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#29 Post by Pat Daily »

Deb

The Michelin site is a good one for determining distance and travel time. I use it to plan the trip before I ever climb on the plane. Some of the places we stay don't even have internet access, let alone much else.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA