Need info about mid 1980s 911

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Need info about mid 1980s 911

#1 Post by Emil Wojcik »

A friend is looking for a 1985 to 1989 911 coupe and I'd like to let him know what type of things to watch out for that could go wrong with a 911 of these years with about 45K miles on it. Are certain models or years better than others? Are there certain engines to keep away from? Things that may need replacing soon or maintenance that should have been done by now that he should check on? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Kevin E Davis
356 Fan

#2 Post by Kevin E Davis »

Emil, Those are great years for the 911 (I've got one, so perhaps I'm biased) and it is a very broad issue to research. Here's how I'd start your friend to prepare for his 911 purchase...
- read Peter Zimmerman's &/or Randy Leffingwell's 911 model surveys, + Paul Frere's 911 history.
- find the local Porsche Club that includes these specific models & introduce yourself.
- search Rennlist & Pelican forums for threads that discuss this very topic - there are many.
- review the Porsche-centric magazines that have "How to Buy" articles on these models.
- visit a quality independent Porsche shop & discuss w/ the guys who specialize in servicing these models.
- drive as many as possible, especially very nice ones, as a reference.

A 911 buyer must educate himself, investing time as well as $ to make a good selection. & always, be patient & have fun. good luck!
Kevin E Davis
'65 356SC
'66 912 & '87 911 

Greg Spreeman
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Spreeman »

I just sold off my '87 911 Carrera. It had 189K miles on it. The engines are bullet proof. No real issues that come to mind to look out for. Be sure to get a PPI, (pre purchase inspection). One thing to look out for is the leak down test to see what kind of shape the rings, etc., are in. If it's a high miles car you might be needing a clutch, even with low miles, if one of the previous owners got a little crazy with the clutch you might need a replacement. Usual upgrade was the finned turbo valve covers. The stock covers didn't have the fins and tended to warp over time. Be aware that the AC on most, if not all, the SCs and Carreras is lousy. If they say, "ice cold AC..." take it with a grain of salt and realize you still have a sunroof you can open.

If you are going older than a Carrera to a SC, I believe they had to have the chain tensioners replaced. Most were, just check. Also, the air filter needed to be updated. If not, when you work on the engine, if it backfires you send the air cleaner into the neighbor's swimming pool.

Aside from that, get a PPI and look for normal wear and tear. No real surprises with the Carreras or SCs for that matter.

Just my $.02.
Greg Spreeman
1965 356SC Coupe
1964 356C Coupe
2001 996 Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 914
1965 356C Sunroof Coupe
1989 911 Carerra

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#4 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Emil

85 & 86 Carreras have a 915 transmission that was introduced in 1972. 87 to 89 Carreras have the newer G50 transmission. Along with the G50 came a hydraulic clutch. The 915s have a cable operated clutch much the same as a 356. All of those years are great cars. Have your friend buy the best car he can afford. The most expensive ones tend to be the best buys! Don't be too concerned with milage. Cosmetics are more important in those years. The mechanicals are very durable and are rarely a problem.
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#5 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Thanks Jim, I'll pass that info on to my friend. Although I've never had the opportunity to deal with you since my car didn't/doesn’t really need much work, I have to tell you that I value your opinion greatly. That's based solely on your reputation and the info I've seen you give others through 356Talk over the years. So thanks not only for this info, but also for all I've learned from your posts over the years.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420