Your friend, the satellite...

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Deborah King
356 Fan

Your friend, the satellite...

#1 Post by Deborah King »

I don't know how many of you do this (probably I'm the last to know), but you can use satellite mapping to plan your next drive. Go to Google and select maps in the upper left corner. Plug in an area, and pick your distances. You'll find all kinds of information! I use the satellite views with road numbers included ("show labels"). Once you've selected some possibilities, go down to 200' resolution, or so, and you can tell if it's paved, gravel, or the way the cows get to the stock pond! It literally shows individual trees!

We've used this to plan a number of drives for the 356 and MINI clubs in our area, and it's great! Finds the really good roads, avoids the straight liners, and saves lots of time and gas money.
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)

Ashley Page
356 Fan

Re: Your friend, the satellite...

#2 Post by Ashley Page »

Deborah King wrote:I don't know how many of you do this (probably I'm the last to know), but you can use satellite mapping to plan your next drive. Go to Google and select maps in the upper left corner. Plug in an area, and pick your distances. You'll find all kinds of information! I use the satellite views with road numbers included ("show labels"). Once you've selected some possibilities, go down to 200' resolution, or so, and you can tell if it's paved, gravel, or the way the cows get to the stock pond! It literally shows individual trees!

We've used this to plan a number of drives for the 356 and MINI clubs in our area, and it's great! Finds the really good roads, avoids the straight liners, and saves lots of time and gas money.
Boy-Howdy (using my best Texas keyboard accent) I did not know this. This is a good example of the benefit of an OT forum.

Thanks

Deborah King
356 Fan

#3 Post by Deborah King »

You're welcome, pardner, and howdy back, y'all! Okay, I'm fixin' to read the rest of my mail!.

See what happens when a couple of Yankees live in Texas for 30 years?!
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)