How to remove a space save tire from the rim?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
C Richey
356 Fan

How to remove a space save tire from the rim?

#1 Post by C Richey »

Happy New Year

Any suggestion on separation a space saver tire from its rim. I have both 15 and 16 inch rims and have
been rejected by three tire shops in the Seattle area. Suggestions ?

Also, what millimeter tubeless valve stem is recommended to fill the second hole as I would prefer not to weld the opening.

Thank you

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: How to remove a space save tire from the rim?

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Even with permission to ruin the tire they will not help?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Gordon White
356 Fan

#3 Post by Gordon White »

A Sawzall with a metal cutting bade.
Makes quick work of it.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#4 Post by Al Zim »

When Oklahoma Foreign Car parts closed we purchased about 30 15 inch steel space saver rims. Because we have professional tire changing equipment removing the tire from the rim was a pain but not an impossible situation. I suggest you fill the tires with air and let them have a few days to a week to "stretch out" When they are in the new shape let the air out of the tire and with a sharp box cutter (or sawzall as mention) cut the tread from the tire. After that is done the tire shop should be able to remove the two bands that attach to the rim. We have successfully welded the second valve opening with an heli-arc al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#5 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

My tire guy did remove three space saver tires from the steel wheels.Two 15 inch and one 16 inch. He later mounted those tires on Fuchs wheels.
He did it like regular tires.
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5007.JPG (564.67 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
IMG_5005.JPG
IMG_5005.JPG (478.89 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
ColapsTire15Inflated.jpg
ColapsTire15Inflated.jpg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
ColapsTire15Deflated.jpg
ColapsTire15Deflated.jpg (29.25 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bill Waite »

Regarding the valve stems on the space saver tires, below is part of an email I sent back in the year 2000 to a member who bought a set of the wheels from me (I used to sell them years ago). The info is dated, but the data re. the stem is still valid. Rather than weld the second hole, most folks just run two valves.
-------------------------------------------

I'm probably going to just run with two valve stems (that's what most seem to do). I think Ken Daugherty had the extra hole welded over before the wheel was finished... but that sounds expensive and it might be hard to get the surface smooth at that spot.

An excerpt from a PCA article regarding the space saver wheels:

One is the inflation valve and the other is to attach to a vacuum pump to completely collapse the space saver spare after use. The small diameter of the vacuum valve hole means that it would be easy to weld up with a TIG welder or you could tap the hole and put in a pipe plug, although if you couldn't find an aluminum plug there could be a problem with loosening because of the different expansion rates of iron and aluminum.

I did notice the following eBay listing. The "stealth" cap might be perfect to "hide" one of the openings. Only problem: hole may need to be drilled slightly larger due to the small size of the stem hole.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-PORSC ... enameZWD1V

Revision: a current (2010) link: https://www.ebay.com/i/252157987587?chn ... vD_BwE[/i]

The diameter of the valve stem holes is approximately .327" or 0.8 cm. This size hole is popular for European motorcycle wheels. Do a Google search and you'll find suppliers of the 8mm Schrader valve stems, for example: http://www.heeters.com/tires.shtml

Valve Stem

Description:
Stainless steel tubeless tire valve stem by Camel
Fits .327" diameter hole
1 3/16" long
Price (#ET-15-1401)-----$10.95 each

I will send you eight (8) of the original valve stems (the ones used for filling... not the vacuum side). You may want to just use them, but I would find replacements for the rubber washer/seals that are compressed against the rim when the stem is tightened up on the wheel.

Hope this helps,
[/i]
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"