Ford V Ferrari

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

Re: Ford V Ferrari

#16 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

You are going to enjoy it. I think it's well done for what it is, and if you're old enough you will remember much of the action as it transpires.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jay Wiener »

I don’t think Shelby ever owned a speedster. I know Ken miles drove many 550 spyders. I’m unsure if he owned any though

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Oh yes I'll have to see this one

#18 Post by Tom Coughlin »

In the "fond memories of youth" department, after college I attended the 1965 Targa Florio (where I saw my first 911) and one night beofre the race we happened upon the house of the Ford team. They graciously greeted their fellow Americans and when I asked if I could sit in the GT 40 roadster racer that was parked right there, Bob Bondurant was nice enough to say "sure". I'm glad I asked and happy he said yes.
 KTF, member #15

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#19 Post by Adam Wright »

Jay Wiener wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:03 am I don’t think Shelby ever owned a speedster. I know Ken miles drove many 550 spyders. I’m unsure if he owned any though
Ken Miles in Santa Monica.
Attachments
kenmiles550.jpg
kenmiles550.jpg (202.16 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Cool Race Movie coming up

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

There was one thing that they did that wasn't accurate. From my reading the word was that Enzo never went to the track but listened by radio from the Factory in Modena. It made for better movie magic to have him watching at Le Mans but I don't think it happened that way.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jay Wiener »

The Von Neuman car!

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#22 Post by Chuck Allard »

Enzo listened to F1 races on the radio according to legend. Not sure about Le Mans but I didn't see him in the three years of the Ford challenge even though I saw him in Italy and was in the Ford pits off and on as an ABC gopher. The movie Go Like Hell was written by a fellow who used published articles as his basis but was never there. When I read the book, I was pretty upset at times - almost wanted to file a protest. Somewhere I've got some pics from the Ford garage and the GT 40 and numbers being painted on the Cobras.

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#23 Post by David Nicholls »

In 2016 there was a movie, on the same subject. It was titled "The 24 Hour War"
It was very good, and was more of a documentary and less of a movie, whereas "Ford vs Ferrari" is more of a movie and less of a documentary.
Watch them both to get the full picture (excuse the pun)
Regards
David

David Campbell
356 Fan

#24 Post by David Campbell »

Going to see the movie tonight. Based on the screen shots it looks like two of the Beck 904's look to have made it through the film editing process. The prior owner of one lives around the corner. I am happy that Hollywood was able to get an A list behind a racing-theme movie, even if the historical authenticity is not perfect. I was just a bit too young for the GT 40 campaign. My earliest motor sports memories start in the late 60's-early 70's, with Siffert, Rodriguez, Icxx, Follmer, A. Holbert, Donahue, Gregg and my all time Can-Am independent underdog, Lothar Motschenbacher. Thank goodness for Autoweek subscriptions back in those days.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Adam Wright »

My answer to all the people who complain about the movie people using replica's is do you want Matt Damon doing donuts in your Carrera Speedster? I know I wouldn't want my car used in a car movie with people driving crazy.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#26 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Saw the movie last night. One thing I did learn, was to glare at the competing driver as you rocket down the straight at 200 mph. Cliff, are you listening? We would have to be satisfied with 125 mph. :D

C J Murray
356 Fan

#27 Post by C J Murray »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:31 am Saw the movie last night. One thing I did learn, was to glare at the competing driver as you rocket down the straight at 200 mph. Cliff, are you listening? We would have to be satisfied with 125 mph. :D
I had to laugh at that! They did that in "High Noon" but they were standing stationary, not exactly the same situation! When you are traveling 293 feet per second there is no time to glare. It was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours smooching with Jeannie though.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#28 Post by Vic Skirmants »

C J Murray wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:42 am
Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:31 am Saw the movie last night. One thing I did learn, was to glare at the competing driver as you rocket down the straight at 200 mph. Cliff, are you listening? We would have to be satisfied with 125 mph. :D
I had to laugh at that! They did that in "High Noon" but they were standing stationary, not exactly the same situation! When you are traveling 293 feet per second there is no time to glare. It was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours smooching with Jeannie though.
Did you go to the drive-in? :P

gregg hake
356 Fan

#29 Post by gregg hake »

I suggest "The 24 Hour War" also. It is a documentary and was made with input from the Ford family, Shelbys, and many others related to that epic era in racing, so it gives you more of a factual account of that era..
"The 24 Hour War" is now on Netflix and watching it before you go see the Ford vs Ferrari movie makes for more enjoyment all around.

STEVEN MOORE
356 Fan

#30 Post by STEVEN MOORE »

In 1967 my Mechanical Engineering class at Ohio State flew in a DC3 to the Ford Motor Company research center for a field trip ! We were taken to the test cell where a complete system mock up of the engine , trans and brakes computer simulated the Lemans 24 hr race with shifting and braking for 24 hours with red hot rotors and engine manifold!
No wonder Ford buried Lemans!!