Porsche-Not Porsche; Ignorant-Not Ignorant; What color is an '67 911S Fuel Tank; etc.

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Message
Author
User avatar
neilbardsley
356 Fan
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 am
Location: London

Re: Speedster for $500K

#1 Post by neilbardsley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:06 am

I'm in awe of Emory's workmanship but really wonder why spend so much for an outlaw? Just buy yourself a replica kit and vw 2.5l engine for a 1/10 of money?

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8458
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Speedster for $500K

#2 Post by Adam Wright » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 am

neilbardsley wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:06 am
I'm in awe of Emory's workmanship but really wonder why spend so much for an outlaw? Just buy yourself a replica kit and vw 2.5l engine for a 1/10 of money?
Because that replica isn't a Porsche.
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

User avatar
Vic Skirmants
356 Registry Member
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Speedster for $500K

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 am

Adam Wright wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 am
neilbardsley wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:06 am
I'm in awe of Emory's workmanship but really wonder why spend so much for an outlaw? Just buy yourself a replica kit and vw 2.5l engine for a 1/10 of money?
Because that replica isn't a Porsche.
+1

User avatar
C J Murray
356 Fan
Posts: 7439
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:24 pm
Location: 30MI WEST OF PHILA

Re: Speedster for $500K

#4 Post by C J Murray » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am

This Speedster isn’t a Porsche either.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car - Finally Finished!
'63 GS 2133 coupe
'64 Elva Courier mk4T
'67 911 S Original Owner

Dave Whittick
356 Fan
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Speedster for $500K

#5 Post by Dave Whittick » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:19 am

Great car and congrats to the new owner. The only thing I don't understand is that Rod posted a promotion for the auction where he stated that that car would cost somebody $500k to have him build it today. I think I'd prefer to spend my $500K on a custom car built just for me to my taste with all modern parts rather than a 10 year old build. A lot has changed in 10 years.

chris romney
356 Fan
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Speedster for $500K

#6 Post by chris romney » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Yes, you could have Rod build a custom Speedster for you for $500k, but this way you get to drive it right away. I would bet Rod has a wait list of at least a couple of years.
 

User avatar
Adam Wright
356 Fan
Posts: 8458
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am
Tag: KTF

Re: Speedster for $500K

#7 Post by Adam Wright » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm

C J Murray wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am
This Speedster isn’t a Porsche either.
See, now that's just ignorant. Pretty sure 82712 was built at the Porsche Factory, here is the Kardex to prove it. Yes, it has now been modified, but if someone wanted to take it back to stock, it could be done, therefore, it was built a Porsche Speedster and remains a Porsche Speedster. Just like 80356 is still a Porsche, because if someone had the will to re-do the Speedster body, guess what, the Porsche DNA, makes it a Porsche.
You might not like what Rod did to 82712, you might think it's a waste of money, but there is no denying that it is still and will always be a Porsche 356 Speedster, built in Stuttgart.
Attachments
80356.jpg
80356.jpg (42.97 KiB) Viewed 348 times
kardex82712.jpg
kardex82712.jpg (165.41 KiB) Viewed 348 times
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

User avatar
Vic Skirmants
356 Registry Member
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Speedster for $500K

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:37 pm

Adam Wright wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm
C J Murray wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am
This Speedster isn’t a Porsche either.
See, now that's just ignorant. Pretty sure 82712 was built at the Porsche Factory, here is the Kardex to prove it. Yes, it has now been modified, but if someone wanted to take it back to stock, it could be done, therefore, it was built a Porsche Speedster and remains a Porsche Speedster. Just like 80356 is still a Porsche, because if someone had the will to re-do the Speedster body, guess what, the Porsche DNA, makes it a Porsche.
You might not like what Rod did to 82712, you might think it's a waste of money, but there is no denying that it is still and will always be a Porsche 356 Speedster, built in Stuttgart.
+1

User avatar
John Hearn
356 Fan
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:26 am
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!
Location: Colchester, Great Britain

Re: Speedster for $500K

#9 Post by John Hearn » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:47 am

Because that replica isn't a Porsche.
+1
KTF
John

User avatar
C J Murray
356 Fan
Posts: 7439
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:24 pm
Location: 30MI WEST OF PHILA

Re: Speedster for $500K

#10 Post by C J Murray » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 am

Adam Wright wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm
See, now that's just ignorant.
That is not a very friendly attitude from a fellow "Registry brother". I guess Vic and John are included in that observation since they used the "+1". Oh well, differing opinions are often not tolerated here so no surprise.

That Speedster is still a Speedster like a woman who has had a complete sex change is still a woman.

That aside, I doubt it could hang with a Honda Civic on a back road. If creating modern performance is the goal it will not happen. I do like modified 356s, that is cars that are modified as per "in period", like a period club racer.

So, what is the aversion to differing opinions here? Are some of us a little insecure or just rudely argumentative? It's ok, blast away.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car - Finally Finished!
'63 GS 2133 coupe
'64 Elva Courier mk4T
'67 911 S Original Owner

User avatar
Vic Skirmants
356 Registry Member
Posts: 7021
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Speedster for $500K

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:07 am

Blast, blast, blast. Hey, just because it's raining here, don't be so grumpy.

User avatar
C J Murray
356 Fan
Posts: 7439
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:24 pm
Location: 30MI WEST OF PHILA

Re: Speedster for $500K

#12 Post by C J Murray » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 am

Vic Skirmants wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:07 am
Blast, blast, blast. Hey, just because it's raining here, don't be so grumpy.
I'm thinking about having a sex change. I see myself as a beautiful woman. Don't you?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car - Finally Finished!
'63 GS 2133 coupe
'64 Elva Courier mk4T
'67 911 S Original Owner

User avatar
DonCichocki
356 Fan
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:29 pm
Location: Lafayette, NJ

Re: Speedster for $500K

#13 Post by DonCichocki » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 am

Cliff, will you retain the beard after the change?

User avatar
C J Murray
356 Fan
Posts: 7439
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:24 pm
Location: 30MI WEST OF PHILA

Re: Speedster for $500K

#14 Post by C J Murray » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:09 am

DonCichocki wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 am
Cliff, will you retain the beard after the change?
Absolutely! I could work for the circus. I could promote myself as the "Bearded Woman" even though Adam, Vic, and John would call me a bearded man regardless of the fact that I would be missing important male parts.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car - Finally Finished!
'63 GS 2133 coupe
'64 Elva Courier mk4T
'67 911 S Original Owner

Richard Emerson
356 Fan
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 am

Re: Speedster for $500K

#15 Post by Richard Emerson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:15 am

Adam Wright wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm
C J Murray wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am
This Speedster isn’t a Porsche either.
See, now that's just ignorant.
Cliff, it’s not unfriendly to say ignorant . Ignorant means lack of knowledge. I’m ignorant on many things. That’s very different than for example calling someone stupid.

And frankly saying it’s not a Porsche was deliberately ignorant - or inflammatory.

More importantly, you made up a definition of what a Porsche should be - factory stock - in order to be deemed a Porsche.

Why not say instead it’s not stock? Or I prefer stock? Or ...?

Instead you chose to insult it in the strongest way you could. In a manner most including the dmv would disagree with.

I’ve had several before and after this one. Why was it great? Because I used it to drive up into the mountains around Seattle. Much more enjoyable. And I doubt a civic would take it on a tight track - weight matters. But obviously who cares? Buy a civic.

Outlaws have broadened the interest in our hobby which is good. Rod Emory has stirred up lots of new interest in 356’s and he should be applauded not being told it’s not a Porsche. I don’t know you but everyone else seems 60-70 plus years old; his followers skew much much younger which we need.

Post Reply