Trailer rigging on the fly!

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Trailer rigging on the fly!

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

So anyone who has used a trailer has probably had trailer wiring issues, always away from home. And getting that ticket for no lights is no fun, ask me, I've had a few. So at some point on my latest trip the trailer wiring popped out of it's socket and got dragged for 200 miles. So here I am hundreds of miles from home, it's snowing and I need to drive at night. What to do? I got to Wal-Mart and buy two of those light switch lights that are supposed to go in closets, zip tie them to the trailer and wrap them in red tape! Macgyver would be so proud. I got the load loaded and headed home.
Attachments
IMG_4322.jpg
IMG_4322.jpg (750.74 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
IMG_4321.jpg
IMG_4321.jpg (827.29 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
IMG_4311.jpg
IMG_4311.jpg (607.86 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
IMG_4320.jpg
IMG_4320.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
IMG_4317.jpg
IMG_4317.jpg (106.23 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Trailer rigging on the fly!

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

You did a number on that plug. How did you get the lights to brighten when you hit the brake? Or did you drive the rest of the way home without touching the brakes........ Tip: When you rewire the trailer light system, if possible, rig it so that the plug doesn't reach the ground if it falls out. You might need a spring to do that.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

Pick up a magnetic trailer light kit and a 4 wire flat adaptor to carry along for such emergencies.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-m ... 64282.html
Bruce Hagopian

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Bruechle »

My saltwater boat trailer had some screwed up lights and wiring. Those magnetic base Harbor Freight ones are good.
The problem is they have viewable light on the front and rear of each lens. Hard to see in daylight so you have to tape up or paint the forward (amber) side then you can see
the red brake/turn light better in daylight.

Option 2; Get some red glow light sticks the plastic 4" - 6" the ones that you snap and shake then last 4 - 8 hours and
keep some in the glove box. Cheaper and more available before Halloween. Kept some on the boat in case a running light fails at night.

Nautical info you might never need to determine a boats direction at night. Lol
3 short words... Left - Port - Red side of the boat.
3 long words... Right - Starboard - Green side of the boat.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Bruechle »

You can also hit up the bicycle section at your local MALLWART ?
They have some nice cheap red
LED Bike tail lights too.
Last edited by Martin Bruechle on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Bruce Hagopian wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:41 pm Pick up a magnetic trailer light kit and a 4 wire flat adaptor to carry along for such emergencies.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-m ... 64282.html
I had those for years as a backup, but when I started pulling the aluminum trailer I gave them up. I've found putting them directly on the cars is risky, too much bouncing.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.