CSAA extended road service flat bed.

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

CSAA extended road service flat bed.

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hey all,
I am likely moving in about three weeks from SF Bay area to Monterey Peninsula.
Trying to figure out my logistics regarding my daily driver and 356 getting back to new location.
I pay extra each year thru CSAA extended 200 mile road service, I get up to I think four flat bed tows a year.
In the past if the motor or trans etc. was broken they would flat bed tow for me free if local.
So my question is could I fib a little and say the 356 is not running and I need it flat bed towed 100 miles to Monterey, CA?
This could solve my logistical issue getting the car to new location. I could just follow flat bed in my daily driver.
Should I think any deeper into this or just do it and expect them to not really question me?
Thank you,
Steve

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

Re: CSAA extended road service flat bed.

#2 Post by Jon Schmid »

Steve, I have AAA with the 100 mile/4 tows per year limit and FWIW never has a tow truck driver asked me why I needed a tow. If they ever did, I could easily come up with hundreds of reasons why either of my cars isn't running. :wink: Good luck!

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Just tell AAA that you want a tow. I've never had an issue with them in the many times they have flat-bedded my cars.
But why don't you just drive it down to Monterey?
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

I once towed a VW Golf I bought as a parts car using AAA. When the guy arrived he noticed the car was sitting high in the front and had no motor. $20 solved his confusion.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

I like Dan's suggestion. Drive it to down to the peninsula and then sleep well at night. Get a buddy to follow you down if you need a ride back. Nice trip if the weather will ever let up.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi guys,
Appreciate your experiences. A friend suggested driving the 356 and flat bedding my daily driver that is what I will do.
Hope to see some of you over time in the area in the future events to come.
KTF,
Steve