Chinese insurance advertising

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Chinese insurance advertising

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

History buff; toured the Taklamakan Desert area of far western China a couple of years back (where the Silk Road split north or south, depending on the current or predicted depredations of the thieves, un-licensed or governmental).
Had an on-line discussion about the trip today and found this image:
Silk Road 012.JPG
This was taken heading west out of Turpan on the north side of the desert. I don't read Mandarin, but the guide I'd hired told me that this is an ad for what seemed to be the largest auto insurance outfit (which I have to assume is a Chi Com government operation).
According to the guide, the copy was along the lines of 'stuff happens'...
Also (by edit, later discussion)
Silk Road 099.JPG
Some 500Km SW of there, on the south side of the desert and west of Hotan, we stopped for lunch in a sizeable city (50,000 people?); it was notable in that the guide said: "Turn left here for Tibet".
We barely sat down before word passed that an American was there and the guys working there called a buddy or two. Every one of they wanted to know how they could get to the US, since that was where ambitious folks made a ton of money starting new businesses! They all wanted US currency; I ended up making a tidy profit by selling US$1 bills for nothing; I handed them out, and I'm sorry I didn't ask them to wave them for the photo.
Also note that these are the predominant ethnic group in the area; they are Uyghur; Turkish, SW Asian. The Han Chinese are not native to the area, they are the occupiers of it.
And finally, I'm the guy on the right in the England T-shirt; dunno who the old fat guy in the middle is.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Chinese insurance advertising

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I enlarged the picture to see what you looked like in your "England" Tee shirt. All of the sudden I sneezed-and I swear to God the sneeze sounded like" bull sheit"
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Chinese insurance advertising

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I enlarged the picture to see what you looked like in your "England" Tee shirt. All of the sudden I sneezed-and I swear to God the sneeze sounded like" bull sheit"
Damn! Busted!
Should'a had him wear the Pre Mat shirt.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz