So a friend of mine inherited an early 911 from his uncle...

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Jack Walter
356 Fan

So a friend of mine inherited an early 911 from his uncle...

#1 Post by Jack Walter »

and he really isn't a Porsche guy - he's had a couple of vintage Pontiac GTO's. So now he has a 1970 911T.

His uncle apparently bought the car in the early 1970's after the previous owner passed him on the freeway at a very high rate of speed. He was so impressed he chased the guy down and offered to buy the car on the spot.
The owner didn't really want to sell but Hank's uncle (who apparently was quite the eccentric and never married) had decided he really wanted that Porsche and kept raising his offer until the guy said yes.
He put about 120,000 miles on it and eventually parked it in his garage sometime in the early 1990's where it was entombed until earlier this year along with a Marcos coupe.

It's a 1970 911T with the 2.2 engine (which I love because its a short stroke engine that loves to rev - I had a 1971 911T). I think its got the 14" Fuchs alloys on it - forgot to look closely when I saw it for the first time the other day.
Its in really good shape with no rust and a just a few random dents - one of them caused by something that fell of a shelf onto the rear deck lid. Its just a good honest car that would be fun to get in and drive.
The paint isn't too great and the rubber weatherstripping is old and tired but its a nice Porsche. Hank has spent a little over $22,000 getting the car back to driveable condition after its long nap - all new brakes, shocks, tires, clutch & flywheel, exhaust system, pressure fed chain tensioners, new ignition system and resealing the engine. He had the Zenith carbs gone through (they replaced the floats) and the car is running again after more than 25 years in storage. It still needs some work but somebody could just drive it and have a lot of fun with it for while too.

So Hank wants to know (since he really isn't a Porsche guy) - what's it worth?
Attachments
911T-2s.jpg
911T-1s.jpg
HP-1.jpg
HP-2.jpg

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: So a friend of mine inherited an early 911 from his uncl

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I recommend you copy and paste to Pelican parts Porsche Classified discussion area here: https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche ... iscussion/ Very active forum for early 911s I know some people here also have 911s but the discussion board is full of people who have, buy and sell 911s. 49.5K good #3 72.3K excellent #2 per Hagerty. Condition of floors, battery trays, suspension points is critical. #4 Fair is 30K. Looks like some rust in front of drivers door. A much more complete presentation of body is needed. Like every Porsche pre 1980 at least you can rebuild engine and transmission cheaper than you can redo the body.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

In today's market I would say high 30's to mid 40's, depending on rust, mechanical details.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jack Walter »

There is a little bubble of rust in the lower corners of the front fenders but the underside is very clean - so much so that I'm tempted to buy it myself. The front suspension pickup points are solid - except for a little surface rust on the drivers side caused by battery acid spilling from the LH battery. I had to replace the front pan on my 71 so I know about that issue. The underside looks very clean and if the suspension height were adjusted properly the car would present well. I'd definitely rate it better than good on the Hagerty scale. I forgot to mention that Hank also had a new fuel tank and sender installed. He's spent more money getting the car running than he anticipated but now that its drive able he thinks its time to move it on.

Oh and thanks for the suggestion to post it on Pelican - I've done that too. If Hank still has this in a couple of weeks after I get back from Monterey I might do something stupid.
Attachments
HP-3.jpg
HP-4.jpg
HP-5.jpg

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jan Kolm »

Ossiblau was one of the nicest-looking colors offered on early, 900-series Porsches. Aside from the 1980s-era fog lights, Kraco stereo and nasty-looking speaker grille, the car presents itself very well.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe