Flange Sealant That Works!

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
John Clarke
356 Fan

Flange Sealant That Works!

#1 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
I have put this here as it is not actually 356 on topic.
Recently I have been working on the Bristol 2 Litre Engine where the pushrod cover on the side of the engine has suffered quite bad engine oil leaks in the past. I have tried refitting with a new gasket, but still the same constant leaks.
I know we have often discussed on the 356 talk forum about sealing the various points on the 356 engine, mainly from the Rocker Cover when not using Vic's Gaskets, and the join at the engine crankcase and also not forgetting the side housings of the 356 Gearbox Differential where they can leak rather badly.
I came across a 'new to me' Flange Sealant by Loctite, Reference Number MR 5922 . This is a Black flexible non hardening flange sealant, this comes in a 60ml/90g tube. Can be used after 15-30 Minutes, fills uneven surfaces and withstands temperatures of -55 * C to +200*C !
Removed the Bristol side cover again, cleaning and checking for flatness and refitted the case with a smooth layer squeezed and smeared on to both surfaces. Left as per instructions for 2-3 minutes and refitted without a gasket. Tightened all bolts evenly.
Result, no leaks whatsoever ! Tested on high speed and high temperatures on a recent run down to the Classic Le Mans in France .
So impressed with this product I just thought I had to share, will be buying a few more tubes of this for future stock, Anyone else used this? No affiliation.
Cheers Jay

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Flange Sealant That Works!

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Great info, John. It sounds like it is oil-resistant, how about gasoline (petrol)?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Stephen Dempsey
356 Fan

#3 Post by Stephen Dempsey »

Any ideas about where to buy in US? Haven’t been able to locate.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

On eBay, available from Germany. Googling it, available from Fastenal which has several U.S. outlets.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Last edited by Martin Bruechle on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashley James
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ashley James »

I agree that Loctite is the best flange sealant by far, but I prefer Grey 5699

Both types are very good, last indefinitely, seal the impossible and are easily cleaned off and joints separated when necessary.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Nelson »

Ashley James wrote:I agree that Loctite is the best flange sealant by far, but I prefer Grey 5699

Both types are very good, last indefinitely, seal the impossible and are easily cleaned off and joints separated when necessary.

Good data. there's other things out there (like Yamabond), but it's nice to know there's an alternative.

Ashley James
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ashley James »

I’d forgotten about Yamabond because it’s not easy to find in the UK, but I agree it’s excellent.