"Competition Coupes"

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

"Competition Coupes"

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

For some short period of time in the early '60s, NHRA ran a class called "Competition Coupes".
The rules never intended such, but the cars quickly ended up with some A-model Ford or a Fiat Topolino coupe body draped over the driver's cockpit of a rail, 'cause the guys who built the cars were better at reading the rules than the guys writing them were at writing them.
The class didn't last long; there was no reason to take track time with rails carrying cut/sectioned bodies down the track. And the sponsors didn't yet have the 'word' regarding that acreage of signage!
Regardless, I am hoping to find images and/or info regarding the "DA Speed-Sport Special" competition coupe which ran in the early '60s in the midwest. At several meets in southern Ohio and Indiana, it was top eliminator, beating the rails and I'd like to find info on the car.
I do remember the 'coupe' part as a very bright yellow, think is was Ford A sedan tin draped over the dragster, "DA Speed Sport Special" prominent on the side of what passed for a sedan.
Anyone else?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: "Competition Coupes"

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hey, Ron:

I Googled it but came up empty. The only thing I found was a rear-engined red roadster.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike,
Should have mentioned I'd tried Google and Bing, but I tried again starting with 'drag racing' and found a car which is very similar:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... &FORM=VIRE
But I was really hoping (needle-searching) for some history on the specific car
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I remember seeing these drag racers at Lyons Dragstrip. You don't have any names of drivers do you? That might help in the search.

I'll keep looking, too.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike,
Dunno the name of the driver.
There were 5 or 6 strips in driving distance at the time and I wrenched on some cars, but not that one.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

There have to be some old gearheads on the Talk List that might remember this car! Ha!

Al the best,

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike Wilson wrote:There have to be some old gearheads on the Talk List that might remember this car! Ha!
Al the best,
Mike
That's ME, Mike. If I get any good feedback, I'll let your know.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz