OT Perhaps - Tariffs and Porsche

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: OT Perhaps - Tariffs and Porsche

#16 Post by Adam Wright »

James Learmonth wrote:What am I missing here? If we put a Tariff on products that we need or want we will continue to buy them. Maybe a new Porsche or parts for an old one. The tariff then is paid by the willing purchaser. That's us. Tell me why this is a good idea that I should support.

Jim
Our government doesn't want German cars sold here.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/31/trump-mer ... n-car-ban/
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#17 Post by C J Murray »

Adam Wright wrote:Our government doesn't want German cars sold here.
You are kidding, right?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:Our government doesn't want German cars sold here.
You are kidding, right?
I'll quote the article.

"President Donald Trump is hoping to effectively ban sales of Mercedes-Benz, Audi, and other German cars, according to reports from a German magazine.

A report in WirtschaftsWoche cites unnamed diplomatic sources who say Trump told French president Emmanuel Macron he would maintain his trade policy “until no Mercedes models rolled on Fifth Avenue in New York.” The trade policy would seemingly affect any German automaker, though, putting sales of Porsche and Volkswagen (and its Audi luxury division) at risk as well as Daimler."
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#19 Post by C J Murray »

I asked if YOU believed what you wrote. Do you believe that "our government" wants to cause the closing of all of the German auto trade inside the USA? Do you believe that? Why? How was the US proposal to drop all tariffs going to accomplish that?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:I asked if YOU believed what you wrote. Do you believe that "our government" wants to cause the closing of all of the German auto trade inside the USA? Do you believe that? Why? How was the US proposal to drop all tariffs going to accomplish that?
You're arguing with the wrong guy here, I'm quoting the article which quoted "unnamed diplomatic sources". If you believe the article our current government does not want to see German cars on American streets.

It was not an isolated article.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ars-report

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/31/trump-r ... he-us.html

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/trum ... an-report/
www.unobtanium-inc.com

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#21 Post by David Lawrence »

Adam, I see that the articles you referenced above are somewhat dated.

Here are some more recent article quotes dated June 23 and 24 from the site LegalInsurrection.com and an internal link to a pay per view article in the Wall Street Journal.
It appears that Trump’s gambit may have paid off.

Germany’s big auto makers are now supporting the abolition of all import tariffs for cars between the European Union and the U.S.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/germanys-l ... 1529492027

The U.S. ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, brought the proposal for a broader industry trade pact to the Trump administration on Wednesday, according to people familiar with the situation.

That would mean scrapping the EU’s 10% tax on auto imports from the U.S. and other countries and the 2.5% duty on auto imports in the U.S. As a prerequisite, the Europeans want President Donald Trump’s threat of imposing a 25% border tax on European auto imports off the table.
Over the past few weeks, Mr. Grenell has held closed-door meetings with the chiefs of all major German automotive companies, including bilateral meetings with the CEOs of Daimler AG , BMW AG and Volkswagen AG , which operate plants in the U.S. Overall, Germany’s auto makers and suppliers provide 116,500 jobs in the U.S., according to the Association of German Automotive Manufacturers.
Definition of gambit
1 : a chess opening in which a player risks one or more pawns or a minor piece to gain an advantage in position
David Lawrence #1087
'64 C Cabriolet (Signal Red/Black Leather)

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#22 Post by Wes Bender »

Any report, document or article that quotes "un-named sources" isn't worth the paper it is written on.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#23 Post by John Lindstrom »

Nowadays “named” sources are less credible than random sources. All that is really going on, is that the U.S. Banker/Wall St/Corporation complex has printed such an insane amount of money, and used it to bid up the prices of and purchase the entire worlds resources, that all the other countries have no other choice but to raise the prices of their exports. Why would they accept worthless devalued dollars and starve their own people of resources? Of course the entire world has to raise their export prices substantially to simply survive. So here we experience our currency being hyper-devalued as mind-wrenching inflation, way higher prices. In order that people don’t wake up to this, and get furious when they realize that all their hard earned money won’t afford them anything, the finger will be pointed at an imaginary, non-existent “trade war”. This way the citizen-slaves will not unite and overthrow their captors, and establish self-government, like they have time and time again through history. Moral of the story? Ignore the fake-news, hold on to your assets that have proven themselves to be valuable over time.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#24 Post by Neil Bardsley »

John Lindstrom wrote:Nowadays “named” sources are less credible than random sources. All that is really going on, is that the U.S. Banker/Wall St/Corporation complex has printed such an insane amount of money, and used it to bid up the prices of and purchase the entire worlds resources, that all the other countries have no other choice but to raise the prices of their exports. Why would they accept worthless devalued dollars and starve their own people of resources? Of course the entire world has to raise their export prices substantially to simply survive. So here we experience our currency being hyper-devalued as mind-wrenching inflation, way higher prices. In order that people don’t wake up to this, and get furious when they realize that all their hard earned money won’t afford them anything, the finger will be pointed at an imaginary, non-existent “trade war”. This way the citizen-slaves will not unite and overthrow their captors, and establish self-government, like they have time and time again through history. Moral of the story? Ignore the fake-news, hold on to your assets that have proven themselves to be valuable over time.
Please name a single "U.S. Banker/Wall St/Corporation complex" that prints money?

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#25 Post by John Lindstrom »

Neil, a “Single” U.S. Banker/Wall St/Corporation complex is an oxymoron don’t you think?