It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 pm 
356 Fan

Not to get political, but I am just wondering how Trump's tariffs will impact the price of a Porsche? Both new and used.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:25 pm 
356 Fan

spare parts will be $$ i heard.

Air never freezes nor overheats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:56 pm 
356 Fan

Read the painful detail here. tRump has declared war on our allies, and German cars and parts are early targets

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 20.54.26 .png
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 20.54.26 .png [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 698 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:58 am 
356 Fan

I have had EU people approach me to buy a 356 from me and start whining about all the tax they would have to pay and could I consider that during the negotiation. Who cares? Not my problem! In the EU taxing anything that moves is the norm. The EU has traditionally imposed substantial tariffs for access to their markets. The Brussels cartel likes the cash flow. Everybody pays. Companies from the outside suffer.

The US asked our "trading partners" to drop ALL tariffs and the US would respond in kind. They laughed. We imposed higher tariffs. We are going through a process that I believe will end with the US in a much more favorable position because our trading partners want access to our market. In the end, tariffs will be less than ever and Americans can compete on a level field.

Why is no one here concerned about the China/US tariff situation? China is no different from the EU other than the lack of Chinese car brand marque clubs in the US.

Instead of looking at this from an individual self centered point of view, and jumping to conclusions, lets see if ultimately all tariffs imposed by our trading partners aren't reduced and America as a whole benefits from the new fair trade.

'63 GS 2133 coupe - very real
'67 S Original Owner - ultra real

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:53 am 
356 Fan

Paul
Our allies have thought nothing of charging the US high tariffs for decades. Why should they not be challenged?
They can adjust their tariffs lower and a compromise can be made.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 am 
356 Fan

Not too many parts come from Europe, its tariffs on China and Mexico that are going to hit us.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 am 
356 Fan

+ 1 for CJ, Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm 
356 Fan

+1 fro CJ.
A relative that lives in Norway paid exactly double the price of a new Jeep as compared to our prices in the US.
Change is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:26 pm 
356 Fan

An interesting perspective here https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2018-03-06/trump-s-trade-war-ignores-basic-eu-us-trade-statistics

'60 Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:25 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.
The reality is that we in the US in general have more discretionary income than the general population in Europe therefore we will spend more money buying the goods produced there, plus the quality of some of their goods is better than the equivalent US made product. When it comes to cars one may look and see that a new boxster for instance costs about the same in the UK as it does here in the US. Most US made cars will not even fit on the roads where I grew up so no matter the price will not sell over there. I doubt an F350 dually or similar is a common sight over there.

David Jones #9715

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:07 pm 
356 Fan

Joris Koning wrote:

I read the Bloomberg article and was amused to see them utilize their projection of a dynamic model of the results of the tariffs. These are the same people who refuse to employ a dynamic model of the results of tax cuts whereby they adamantly profess that tax cuts reduce government revenue. NOTE, tax cuts have caused record revenues to our government in recent months.

As I got to the next Bloomberg article proclaiming how China is going to collapse our economy in retaliation for our tariffs I just couldn't waste my time any further.

We have offered to have no tariffs at all. Why don't our "trading partners" take us up on that? Are they afraid they can't compete with America?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:22 pm 
356 Fan

The tariffs are a negotiating tool. WE are not the society that loves tariffs, THEY are! They can enjoy zero tariffs but they have to share and play nice in the sandbox. If they want to play in our very nice sandbox then they ought to welcome us to their nice sandbox. I think this will end fairly well but we haven't even begun the serious negotiating. Other countries are not liking the idea of equality after all these decades of playing us for suckers. I will be very surprised if they don't come around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:44 am 
356 Registry Member

C J Murray wrote:
The tariffs are a negotiating tool. WE are not the society that loves tariffs, THEY are! They can enjoy zero tariffs but they have to share and play nice in the sandbox. If they want to play in our very nice sandbox then they ought to welcome us to their nice sandbox. I think this will end fairly well but we haven't even begun the serious negotiating. Other countries are not liking the idea of equality after all these decades of playing us for suckers. I will be very surprised if they don't come around.

Yay, Cliff. Missing you here at Mid-Ohio; of course it's raining.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:38 am 
356 Fan

Another yay for Cliff. Joris, nobody pays attention to Bloomberg anymore...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:53 am 
356 Fan

What am I missing here? If we put a Tariff on products that we need or want we will continue to buy them. Maybe a new Porsche or parts for an old one. The tariff then is paid by the willing purchaser. That's us. Tell me why this is a good idea that I should support.

Jim