Image #2 on the home page..

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Image #2 on the home page..

#16 Post by Ron LaDow »

ray nelson wrote:The Axis had no idea of the capabilities of the USA before the war. B17 production stopped in 1945 with a total of around 12,700 planes. The war effort consumed almost all manufacturing during the war years and to quote "Bunky" Knudsen; an automotive industry executive "We won because we smothered the enemy in an avalanche of production, the like of which he had never seen, nor dreamed possible".[...]
Ray
Ray, I've got something over 200 books on the shelves regarding WWII; it is one of my interests as a result of the shadow the depression and (the resulting) WWII cast.
Of all the books, "The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy" (Adam Tooze) pretty much makes the case best; the Nazis had one possible chance of winning: England had to offer negotiations prior to the Summer of '41.
After that, there was no possibility of a Nazi win; all-out war is an economic contest. Germany's econ had not anywhere close the resources to recover, let alone win.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

Re: Image #2 on the home page..

#17 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Ron, I don't disagree but as you know, Hitler made two mistakes, either of which set his fate in concrete.
1. he attacked Russia
2. he allowed Japan to strike Pearl Harbor therefore getting America into the war.

If neither of these events occurred, I believe German would be the official language of Western Europe and Great Britain.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356