1st generation boxster question

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
John Ward
356 Fan

Re: 1st generation boxster question

#16 Post by John Ward »

Sent reply

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Jim Alton wrote:
John Ward wrote:If your paying someone to inspect the bearing, you might as well replace it. Same labor involved.
Figure anywhere between $2500-$3500. depending on if its an automatic or clutch car.

Also think of replacing the water pump at around 70,000 miles, and the Air/Oil separator.
My water pump didn't make it to 70,000 miles. The seal goes bad, heats the shaft, and then the pulley falls off. Lucky for me it failed 100 feet from home.

I heard labor charges for replacing the pump run something like $ 750. Access is not good. It can be a do-it-yourself job but not an enjoyable one. In retrospect, it might ave been easier if I'd gotten all the water hoses out of the way instead of the bare minimum of clearance.
The water pump and air/oil separator on my 2001 Boxster both failed before 35,000 miles. I was told that the vanes on the water pump impeller (propellor?) are made of plastic. No worries anymore, as I unfortunately lost this car in the flood from Hurricane Harvey.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#18 Post by Steve Proctor »

Oh, thanks, Dave, forgot to mention the oil / air separator. Lost that too about 6 years in...
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jon Schmid »

Dave Wildrick wrote:
Jim Alton wrote:
John Ward wrote:If your paying someone to inspect the bearing, you might as well replace it. Same labor involved.
Figure anywhere between $2500-$3500. depending on if its an automatic or clutch car.

Also think of replacing the water pump at around 70,000 miles, and the Air/Oil separator.
My water pump didn't make it to 70,000 miles. The seal goes bad, heats the shaft, and then the pulley falls off. Lucky for me it failed 100 feet from home.

I heard labor charges for replacing the pump run something like $ 750. Access is not good. It can be a do-it-yourself job but not an enjoyable one. In retrospect, it might ave been easier if I'd gotten all the water hoses out of the way instead of the bare minimum of clearance.
The water pump and air/oil separator on my 2001 Boxster both failed before 35,000 miles. I was told that the vanes on the water pump impeller (propellor?) are made of plastic. No worries anymore, as I unfortunately lost this car in the flood from Hurricane Harvey.
Nice. Just like VW's. I can see VW going on the cheap but Porsche? Sad.