Porsche VS VW build quality

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Porsche VS VW build quality

#16 Post by Martin Benade »

I like the low headlight Ghias, I never see them.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Baugh
356 Fan

#17 Post by David Baugh »

As I recall, the rear ends got cut off a lot of Ghias, as they were turned into sand buggies and street rods.
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#18 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I had a '63 KG back in the early '80s. As you can tell from these photos, I was just a kid who wished he could have afforded a Porsche. It's embarrassing to admit I did this to that poor Ghia back then, but such are the follies of youth.
Attachments
ghia2.JPG
ghia1.JPG
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#19 Post by Larry Brooks »

Interesting timing for this thread.

A friend and I just bought a couple 914's from an estate. We went to look at the 914-6 we had heard about and saw another 914 under a car cover. It is a very low miles, original paint survivor that we just sold on eBay. We spent a month doing a deep clean of the 914-4 including dropping the engine/transaxle, etc. Now we are following the same procedure on the 914-6. Definitely the most time I have ever spent tinkering on 914's, spending the last 45 years on 356, 911 & 912 models instead. I have noticed some distinct differences and would certainly consider them VW's with a few Porsche bits.

The most obvious thing that you quickly notice is the extremely large gaps between all of the components. I think that sums up the build philosophy compared to Porsche. I am impressed with the quality of almost all of the components, but it is quite obvious that they were geared toward quick, mass production taking many shortcuts to get there. That said the fit and finish is good, especially compared to other marques from that era. They do somethings that I find irksome too: lug bolts instead of lug nuts (what a PIA!), cumbersome e-brake design, putting the computer under the battery, nearly impossible to change rear brake hoses without dropping the engine, etc.
Attachments
IMG_7963.jpg

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#20 Post by David Jones »

Larry, did you drive it before you sold it? That would make you forgive a lot of complaints about the 914. I drove the piss out of mine for 12 years until I traded it in plus a KG for my cabrio with salvage title. I still miss that car and as regards the lug bolts my updated version of the 914, my boxster has lug bolts as well though my tool kit does come with a guide to get the wheel back on.
Attachments
67 Ghia.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#21 Post by Larry Brooks »

[quote="David Jones"]Larry, did you drive it before you sold it? That would make you forgive a lot of complaints about the 914.

I didn't drive this one because it wasn't a priority for me since I have driven them in the past. I ended up with a 1974 914LE Bumblebee a few years ago when a friend changed his mind after I put a deposit on the car for him. I committed to the seller I would buy so I had to complete the deal. It was also a low mileage car and like all LE's had the 2L engine. It was fun to drive, but reminded me a lot more of driving my VW Thing than a 356 or 911 - maybe it's just me. They go around corners, but they just don't feel like a Porsche to me. I'm curious to see how the 914-6 feels. It has a 1971 911S engine built to a 2.5L by Dick Elverud 5000 miles ago. I know it will be quick and it is a priority for me to drive it since I've never driven a 914-6. :D
Attachments
914a1.jpg
914a1.jpg (11.08 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Last edited by Larry Brooks on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#22 Post by Adam Wright »

Larry Brooks wrote:
David Jones wrote:Larry, did you drive it before you sold it? That would make you forgive a lot of complaints about the 914.

I didn't drive this one because it wasn't a priority for me since I have driven them in the past. I ended up with a 1974 914LE Bumblebee a few years ago when a friend changed his mind after I put a deposit on the car for him. I committed to the seller I would buy so I had to complete the deal. It was also a low mileage car and like all LE's had the 2L engine. It was fun to drive, but reminded me a lot more of driving my VW Thing than a 356 or 911 - maybe it's just me. They go around corners, but they just don't feel like a Porsche to me. I'm curious to see how the 914-6 feels. It has a 1971 911S engine built to a 2.5L by Dick Elverud 5000 miles ago. I know it will quick and it is a priority for me to drive it. :D
Personally I've driven both and at autocross I much prefer the 914, it seems to have a lower center of gravity and much more power. Don't get me wrong, I love driving a 356, but I can't turn anywhere near the same times with the 356 as I can with the 914. Last time out I was pulling the same times as the 911 and Boxsters, and I won my class!
Attachments
914-19.jpeg
914-18.jpeg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.