(VW stuff) This is neither...

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

(VW stuff) This is neither...

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

an offer to sell, nor a solicitation of an offer to buy, as J. P. Morgan might have said. Or maybe not.
Included in the inventory from Mainely these years back was a stock of parts aimed at a specific VW market; those who bought CB extended sumps and were dissatisfied with the provided sump plates. Dissatisfied enough to pay something like $75 retail for a replacement with a fitted screen strainer, a magnetic drain plug, and a hardware fitting kit. And VERY NICE machine work.
If anyone can connect me with someone involved in the air-cooled VW hot rod market who might tell me what these are really worth, I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing the hardware and plugs get salvaged and the rest goes to scrap.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: (VW stuff) This is neither...

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

Let's see a picture!
Greg Bryan

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

The attachment’s file size is too large, the maximum upload size is 2 MB.
Uh, I DID get the images up loaded by cropping them, but the got lost in the ozone overnight:
Deep sump plates 001 - Copy.JPG
Deep sump plates 002 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by Ron LaDow on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jan Kolm »

If these are reproductions of the 1970s era Whitfield/Performance sump plates, there is a continuing demand for these plates.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jan Kolm wrote:If these are reproductions of the 1970s era Whitfield/Performance sump plates, there is a continuing demand for these plates.
Jan, I have no idea whether they are repros of anything at all, having never been involved it VW stuff, other than fixing the GF's Karmann Ghia way back when.
Next week, they go to the scrap dealer.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jan Kolm »

Ron,

Post the same question here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

The maximum upload size is 7 MB, so that's not an issue.

Be prepared for an avalanche of responses, as high-quality engine parts are always in demand with the VW engine builders.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Bryan »

Ron - these are way to nice to scrap - how much do you want for them? I have a couple of VW motors that could use them ...
Added by edit - these appear larger than the stock VW plate - does it require the case to be machined to use. Or are they 911 size?
Another edit - I actually went back and read the first post and see they are for the extended sump - I get it now ...
Still, they look too nice to scrap.
Greg Bryan