Chris Turner RIP

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Chris Turner RIP

#1 Post by Neil Bardsley »

If you were interested in air cooled Porsches on this side of the pond then you knew Chris. He was generous with his time and expertise. I have only know Chris for a few years so I've copied across Steve's words who has worked with him for the last few years

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... =1&t=59821

"Truly a very sad day.

I've known Chris since the late eighties however as some on this fourm might know I've had the privilege of being his "tea boy / apprentice" for several days per week over the last four years. Proud to call him my friend.

I've seen first hand Chris bring to bear what must be the most experienced hands-on practical knowledge of fixing old Porsche's in the U.K. ...bar none. Far too modest and comfortable in his own skin to blow his own trumpet despite many with a fraction of his experience, skill, self taught engineering naus, determination and ingenuity being pretenders to his most respected position in the UK Porsche community.

Rarer still in these avaricious days is the way I saw Chris every day be so generous with his time, advice, spare parts etc etc to those seeking his help. Something that runs through all the comments posted by those who knew him.

This Community and the wider north London automotive old guard that Chris was a central part of has lost a very special person today. I feel very privileged to have spent the time with him in the ways that I did these last four years. Being part of the Willesden social club come high church of Porsche that Chris presided over, usually seven days per week. A marvellous albeit slightly grubby place to spend time. Look at pictures of Porsche Teloche in early 70s and it is hard not to draw parallels. The view from the office posted by OP was very special with its changing array of Porsche.

While the Porsche world has lost a dear generous friend and talent -- man with a very big heart who was once refered to only partly tongue in cheek as "a Porsche God" -- my condolences go out to Suzanne and whole family who have lost a wonderful man today. I know he was very proud of his family from our many conversations as he schooled me the alchemy of fettling the full array of old Stuttgart metal his loyal regular customers brought to him.

At peace now. I'm sure where you are now there is no need to deal with your bugbear ...fitting pesky rear axle boots to a 356 with the fluid dripping down you arm ...or heaven forbid just about any job on your bête noire, a Boxster! I can hear the grumbling about them now :)

I like many others shall miss Chris enormously.

Steve"

John Clarke
356 Fan

Re: Chris Turner RIP

#2 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Neil
Always knew of Chris and the work he did on the older Porsches, but never knew him personally. I think it must just have been the geography of where he was that we never met. Very sad.
Thoughts are with His family
Jay

jim saunders
356 Fan

#3 Post by jim saunders »

The saddest of news. Long ago, in about 1980/81 I was on the lookout for my first 356. So I met Chris. He was sharing accommodation with a friend, and they had 3 for sale. In different lock-ups around the west of London. A beautiful blue colour 356A, and a fabulous low mileage white Carrera 2, and another. Chris' daily driver was a 356B I think, very well used, and just left on the street overnight. His daily driver. I was a bit taken aback, and it must have showed, as I remember him telling me they loved them so much they couldn't drive anything else, so a 356 it was, even though it spent it's time out in the London weather. I should have bought their A coupe and the Carrera 2, but I had no money of course, and ended up buying trouble. However, Chris was such a lovely young guy to be with, I spent many a weekend at his workshop, helping scrape down an early 911 he was going to restore. One of life's great guys. My sympathies to his family, and all in the Porsche world who knew him. It was a very long time ago, but I remember. Thanks Chris. jim

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Neil Bardsley »

"I have managed to sort the funeral out for Friday 2nd June at 2pm. It will be in the Ogden Chapel at south west Middlesex Crematorium, Hanworth then afterwards at the Fairmile in Cobham! Seemed the obvious choice as there is plenty of parking there! Please bring a picture of your car or Chris with a message on the back as I am going to put pinboards out for people to contribute to!! It goes without saying - no flowers at the funeral as Chris didn't like flowers, instead donations to Cancer Research and Princess Alice Hospice.

Please put the word out - I will do my best to contact everyone!

Thanks guys

Suzanne xx"