Waaaay off topic: Diet and Health

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: Waaaay off topic: Diet and Health

#31 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Edwin, your conspiratorial views are amusing at best.

I'll quote part of one post I made earlier in this thread, "I didn't read a single comment in this thread from anyone denying heart disease is something to be concerned about, nor that nutrition is a major part of maintaining heart-health. It's your pseudoscience stance on nutrition that's the issue."
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#32 Post by Edwin Ek »

Emil, I prefer to deal in facts. Please be specific in pinpointing my "conspiratorial views". I am perfectly happy to engage in civil discussion. And perfectly happy to see the error in my ways.

Is it that physicians don't receive much training in nutrition?
That over 90% of medical research is paid for by industry?
That industry isn't altruistic?
That people don't respond to incentives?
That treating heart disease isn't the most profitable line of business for medicine?

There is nothing conspiratorial about this. Everything is happening in plain sight. Standard medical practice can not provide a cure, because it treats symptoms. It does not address causation.

Diet is way more important to health than most realize.

Re pseudoscience: my guess is that you are not familiar with the mechanisms of atherosclerotic heart disease. Otherwise you wouldn't make that characterization.
Last edited by Edwin Ek on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#33 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Edwin, you're certainly entertaining, as are most conspiracists.

To those who you're attempting to influence with this entire tread, please read my previous responses.

Edwin, I'll stay out of this now, nothing more to say since my intention has never been to change your mind. Have fun.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#34 Post by Gary Carriveau »

Please entertain and have fun somewhere else.
Let's talk about Porsche/356 related matters.
Thanks.

Gary
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#35 Post by Edwin Ek »

Gary, this is the off-topic forum. Please notice the title of this thread. If you have no interest, don't read the thread.

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#36 Post by Erik Thomas »

I have come to the conclusion that sugar is what is to be avoided. This to me seems to be the poison rather than fat or oil. However if you walk 2 miles a day and do not drink too much, you will more than likely live a long long time.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#37 Post by Wes Bender »

.... It's started again. I'll go get the popcorn.....
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#38 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

I almost never eat fast food but I still got diabetes (A1C 8.1 on meds). Changed the rest of my diet and now I'm off meds and A1C of 7.0) six months later. Food is important. You are what you eat!

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

M Penta
356 Fan

#39 Post by M Penta »

Interesting discussion, I agree that diet is a huge factor in health, as of course are genes. It can be difficult and costly to eat well, as most prevalent and convenient options are pure garbage (especially when on the road, like the I95 corridor). I agree that sugar is one of the worst offenders, and it is difficult to avoid with so much high fructose corn syrup in just about everything. I still do not understand why there is so much of this forced into the American diet. The other thing is commercial grade meat, such as that found in fast food burgers. I won't go into the details but there are plenty of facts that apply to the contents and quality of this stuff.

I am not some health food nut, but we have been getting all of our meat (mostly beef) from a local farm. It tastes much better and it is good to know where it came from.

My wife however is a health food nut and has been vegetarian since age 12 (ever since her Grand Dad put her pet lamb on the dinner table). She cooks meet for my sons and I, but does not eat it. I do get aggravated when I see how much she spends at health food stores and farmers markets, but hopefully it will benefit us in the long run. I think much of the organic thing goes too far, but as they say "happy wife, happy life"..

With all that said, I like to think that moderation is another factor. I just went to Wendy's yesterday and it was Delicious! I don't go often, but I can still drive with my knees and eat a burger before even getting back on the high way.