Spruce Goose

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Spruce Goose

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

I hope those of you who've attended the Emory's 'campout' got a chance to see the Spruce Goose at the air museum.
It never did 'fly', except the 20' lift-off Hughes did when he wasn't supposed to, but if the performance of an exact model is any indication, it would have done fine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJkfPWyH_E
I've never flown an RC aircraft, but I've seen quite a few. This guy 'slicks' a couple of those landings, compared to most I've seen.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Spruce Goose

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

Great video. Thanks Ron
Phil Planck

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Way cool!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bob Kittel »

test was 70 feet for one mile but never classed as a test flight.
Bob Kittel

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#5 Post by Edwin Ek »

It looks enormous and graceful even as a 1/20 scale model.

Scott Halperin
356 Fan

#6 Post by Scott Halperin »

Very cool! Hate to say it, but electric motors sure do make it easier.

ray nelson
356 Fan

#7 Post by ray nelson »

Nice video, it shows the magic and beauty of flight even though the "Goose" was extremely large and ungainly.
I'm always amazed at some of the work that goes into recreating something like this.
One thought came to mind while watching the video; While today we're in a time when fossil fuel, especially petroleum based, is under attack for its role in global warming, it occurred to me that without the internal combustion engine and the jet engine, manned flight would never have achieved the level it has to serve mankind. The high level of energy to weight provided by petroleum based fuel basically allowed the development of the modern aircraft!
You don't see many steam powered aircraft do you? and even the attempt to use atomic energy was a failure. Only recently a solar powered aircraft has been viable but certainly not practical.
Yep, every time you look up and see an airplane flying overhead give a nod of gratitude to the petroleum industry and its role in aviation.