Laguna Seca Residents Morons?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
C J Murray
356 Fan

Laguna Seca Residents Morons?

#1 Post by C J Murray »

How stupid do you have to be to build your dream house next to a race track and expect to have tranquility there?

This scenario has occurred many times elsewhere so there is no surprise here really. What needs to be done? Real estate buyers have to sign a release barring them from complaining about noise or traffic? 10 mile radius? People really are morons. Let's sue their country clubs for defiling the land and being a source of drunk drivers. Or, maybe we all need to be less selfish.

Rennsport may need to move to Road America or Watkins Glen, both of which are better tracks anyway.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/10437 ... complaints
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Laguna Seca Residents Morons?

#2 Post by David Jones »

Same thing happened to Riverside in the 80's. Suburbia encroached on the desert race track and the folks who moved there objected to the noise and of course the race track became prime real estate. End of story. Great track, loved racing there.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#3 Post by Jim Clement »

How about the same senerio next to an airport..
air travel has increased all over the world, and in most cities the residential has now consumed the land around the airport..

Sometimes I think that the law society gets together and says "what new markets" can we get into...

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#4 Post by Don Gale »

It's a ruse. The underlying cause is the land is too valuable and greedy developers and investors have their eyes on it.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Forman »

Agree with Jim about the airports and Don regarding the land value. But how much revenue does the county/city earn from the car events at Monterey and Carmel?
Bob Forman

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Jim, my dentist friend showed me an article in a law trade magazine pointing out that dentistry was an ideal new market for them.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

#7 Post by Marcus van Bers »

C J Murray wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:27 am How stupid do you have to be to build your dream house next to a race track and expect to have tranquility there?
Not nearly as many as those that buy a house next to a quarry or gravel pit. And then they wonder why their house shakes every other day at exactly the same time of day, or why there are so many gravel trucks on the road. And then the morons want the operation to shut down because they didn't know it was there.
63 B Karmann Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good points, Bob, and others. On one hand, the track was existing but if conditions change drastically (and I'm not saying they did at Laguna Seca), homeowners might have a valid gripe. What if your local airport that has been exclusively light aircraft, started commercial flights with larger jets taking off and landing during the day and night?

People can't gripe after they move next to an existing refinery, quarry, school, etc. If you want quiet, move next to a cemetery.

Mike

P.S. This thread should probably be in Off Topic.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#9 Post by David Jones »

Then there are places like Road America that have a curfew on running race engines before 8 am and after 6 pm. Then when all is quiet one can hear the delightful sound of the open exhaust V8 engines of the local dirt track in Plymouth.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Graeme Langford
356 Fan

#10 Post by Graeme Langford »

UK motor racing circuits have the same issue. Donnington Park is the daftest. Noise testing cars to 98db but next door is East Midlands Airport.
1958 356A
1967 911S

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#11 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Altamont Raceway was struggling for a while, but the last straw was some jackass building his McMansion on top of the hill overlooking the track and then calling in the lawyers about the noise. It was a great place to do the 24 Hours of LeMons. They used the oval and infield figure 8 track to fashion a "road course" of sorts. J

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jon Schmid »

Well, in SoCal let me try to list all the racing venues that have closed over the years due to "noise." Let's see, Riverside, Ontario, and Ascot come to mind. Irwindale's on life support. Lions and Orange County International Raceway are gone for drag racing. Auto Club Speedway is being turned into a short track. Motorcycle, especially dirt bike racing, is mostly gone. Then, there are the various air facilities that have either closed, had to modify their operations, or have been under attack from folks who moved in way after the given airfield was built and operational. Please feel free to add to the list or correct any errors I might have posted. Thanks--

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good history lesson, Jon. I used to be able to hear Ascot from my house in SE Torrance. I suspect noise plus the value of the land led to the demise of a lot of venues.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Benade »

I’d wonder if land value wasn’t the biggest issue of all, people cashing in their assets.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#15 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

Wtf of course there is going to be a lot of noise from an auto race track are these people live in a bubble? Alan The Stable.