Re: Why balance pressure plate?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Phil Planck
356 Fan

#1 Post by Phil Planck »

Thanks Dave. Nice lathe!
Attachments
Lathe.jpg
Phil Planck

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#2 Post by Dave Erickson »

Thanks, Phil. It is a 1940 Monarch 10EE made in Sydney, Ohio. It has a variable speed hydraulic drive mfd. by the Sundstrand Corp. It spent WWII in London, owned by the Ferranti Corp., and whatever its job was, it was used to cut bronze judging by the long spirals of bronze I found inside the tailstock. It still is capable of work to .0001". Ferranti went bankrupt in 1993, and I bought it in 1994 from Anchor Machinery in Port Orford, one of the first machinery dealers to advertise on the WWW.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

Thanks for the rest of the story. My only lathe experience was with an American punched tape nc lathe.
Phil Planck

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joris Koning »

DaveErickson wrote:It is a 1940 Monarch 10EE made in Sydney, Ohio.
Beautiful, very uncommon on this side of the pond. Hear they were called the Cadillacs of lathes. Great to see these machines still being used
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Erickson »

Joris Koning wrote:
DaveErickson wrote:It is a 1940 Monarch 10EE made in Sydney, Ohio.
Beautiful, very uncommon on this side of the pond. Hear they were called the Cadillacs of lathes. Great to see these machines still being used
Thanks Joris, it suits my needs quite well, but so would a Weiler or a Schaublin. The 10EE was the workhorse of the Manhattan Project due to its accuracy and precision. I understand there are quite a few radioactive 10EEs buried in the Nevada Desert.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Dave
All the 10EE i have seen had a DC drive. your version would have had an MG(motor generator) then they went to vacuum tubes then solid state.
j

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dave Erickson »

Jacques Lefriant wrote:Hi Dave
All the 10EE i have seen had a DC drive. your version would have had an MG(motor generator) then they went to vacuum tubes then solid state.
j
Hi Jacques,
the first year and a half of 10EE production (1939-1940) used the Sundstrand fluid drive; the motor generator drive was introduced in 1940 and continued until the early 50's; Thyratron tube drive (works in a drawer) was introduced in 1945 and continued until 1960, modular drive which still used Thyratrons was used from 1960 until the 80's; a regenerative drive was introduced in the 80's and I think it is still offered for the occasional new or rebuilt 10EE that Monarch produces at a price of over $100k.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Thanks Dave i did not know that what is the top speed of your spindle? and is the main motor 460VAC?
j

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

1940 Monarch 10EE Lathe

#9 Post by Greg Bryan »

This Topic split from another thread by Dave Erickson. This is a very nice lathe!
Lathe.jpg
Greg Bryan

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dave Erickson »

Jacques Lefriant wrote:Thanks Dave i did not know that what is the top speed of your spindle? and is the main motor 460VAC?
j
All 10EEs have essentially the same spindle and spindle bearings, from the earliest to the most recent. However, they came with a lot of different drive types as mentioned, and starting with the 1940 motor generator lathes, they included a high-low speed reduction gearbox attached to the DC motor. Monarch fitted different pulleys depending on the application: manufacturing lathes without threading often were limited to 2000 or 3000 RPM, and toolroom lathes with threading came in 3000 and 4000 RPM versions, but any lathe could be converted to 4000 by changing pulleys.

Mine came with two sets of pulleys, and the set that is on it is the 3000 RPM set. The lathe gets noisier the faster it runs (the fluid drive is very quiet at 1000-1500 RPM), so that is where I like to run. It also uses a big flat belt rather than V-belts like the later models. I could convert it to a DC drive or use a 3-phase motor plus inverter, but just like a 356, I like the history of the machine and want to keep it stock.

It originally came with a 460V 3phase 3HP 50 cycle motor, which drives the hydraulic pump. I replaced that with a single phase GE 3HP 110/220V 60 cycle motor. I suspect it is running a bit faster than it was originally spec'd for. Probably the set of pulleys I am using were designed for 2500 RPM with 50 cycle power.