How hard is it to get a clean title for a car without one?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Dave Erickson
356 Fan

How hard is it to get a clean title for a car without one?

#1 Post by Dave Erickson »

In California, what kind of title do you get if you register a vintage car with only a bill of sale, no title? Is it difficult to obtain a clean title in such a case?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: How hard is it to get a clean title for a car without on

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22469&hilit=california+title Take Bob Campbell's advice in this link.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

It depends on where the Bill of Sale is from. Many states, like NY or GA, a Bill of Sale is all you get unless you register and insure the car, then you can get a Transferable Registration, but it takes up to six months. If I sell a car to someone in another state and give them a notorized bill of sale every other state has to accept it because of state reciprocity. A couple of times I have had to send a letter on letterhead quoting the NY DMV website that this is legal and then a title is provided to the new buyer in another state. If it is a CA person giving you just a bill of sale, you might have problems.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Epperly »

Doug McDonnell wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22469&hilit=california+title Take Bob Campbell's advice in this link.

Bobs advice is perfect if the car is out of the system, meaning that VIN is not in the system for some weird reason. If it is then you will have some more work to do.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Bob's advice on certifying the VIN is sound but our local AAA can certify as well as the CHP.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dan Epperly »

Mike Wilson wrote:Bob's advice on certifying the VIN is sound but our local AAA can certify as well as the CHP.
You have to bring the vehicle in and they can be a lot more inquisitive.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Correct, Dan, but my experiences have been favorable.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Erickson »

OK, the process hasn't changed a lot since the last time I had to do it, which was early 90's. If the car is purchased from an out of state seller, and all I get from the seller is a bill of sale, is it more complicated? I really don't want to be surprised by having DMV come back to me and say the car has a salvage title, or find a can of worms hidden when I try and register. The car is a 74 911. Will DMW release any information about a VIN to someone who does not yet own the car?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

I doubt DMV or AAA would release any info about a car unless you can prove you are the owner. That said, I'd give AAA a shot at it explaining that you are looking into buying a car and see if they can determine the status: salvage, non-op, etc. I'd request a copy of a previous registration from the current owner if that's possible but you did indicate that only a bill of sale will be provided.

Interesting situation and unfortunately, I don't have any experience with anything similar. Hopefully another member can help out.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

DaveErickson wrote:OK, the process hasn't changed a lot since the last time I had to do it, which was early 90's. If the car is purchased from an out of state seller, and all I get from the seller is a bill of sale, is it more complicated? I really don't want to be surprised by having DMV come back to me and say the car has a salvage title, or find a can of worms hidden when I try and register. The car is a 74 911. Will DMW release any information about a VIN to someone who does not yet own the car?
It depends on the state, if you get a Bill of Sale from a state that requires titles than the BOS is really not worth much. But if it is a no title state like GA or NY, then you can convert it into a title, it just might take some tap dancing at the DMV.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dan Epperly »

If ÿou have AAA they can run the title and tell you if there is any monkey business, it's a service they provide to members. You can also find sites on line, but I would use AAA.

If all you get is a BOS then if there is nothing in the system for the car you can just do a VIN verification and a lost title form. Cal is pickey about out of state vehicles and usually wants a title from that state.

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bob Kittel »

My car was in garage storage for 20 years and during this time it was non op then registered as operational. Somehow I stopped getting renewals or perhaps I did but with the car out of sight out of mind I let it go. The consequence of all of this was that the car disappeared from the California DMV files. What I then had to do was to take my owners papers and most current found registration to DMV. I visited 4 field offices before finding a clerk that knew what to do and how to do it all. I was told that I had to take the car to the CHP to verify the serial number or to bring the car to the DMV. What I found was that California Highway Patrol no longer does this service as well as AAA. Then it was back to DMV where I got an appointment and the proper paper work to fill out. In it was the question "why did I let this car go without being registered for so long? (paraphrased). I answered the question and I think they didn't care what I said, they just wanted the box filled out. The only real problem I encountered with the clerk was they didn't believe that this car had a 6 digit vin number, "This can't be correct" I heard. I brought the car into the DMV at the appointment time, got in line and waited. A DMV inspector came out took the papers I filled out and reviewed everything without a question. I showed him where the VIN was stamped in the metal and also on the aluminum plate. Everything went very smooth. The best thing was that the Inspector called his buddies over to look at the car and then joked "How'd you like to road test this one". The worst things were that they wanted the original plates, Cal black plate and they kept my original Cal pink slip. The got a kick out of the 50 year old pink and slid it into a large 8.5x11 envelope with the rest of the papers. I got to keep my plates and I am currently trying to retrieve my original pink slip. Of course this story was about a documented car that slipped out of the DMV system. I do not have an idea nor could imagine what would happen if the proper documentation wasn't in hand. Last thing was I had both original black plates in hand and I showed them but would not hand them over. my fear was handing these to a clerk and that would be the last I would have seen them.
Bob Kittel

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dan Epperly »

I've bought a few cars without paperwork and usually have AAA run a search and they usually come up not in the system. I then fill out a lost title, pay a private operator or have my cop friend do a VIN verification, take thr paperwork to AAA and get title.
On my last car I had the pink with the original black plates in it but it was not in the system. I did not want to turn in my plates so I paid a DMV contractor to do the paper work it was a breeze. The fact that the license plate number was on the pink sealed it.

steverestelli
356 Fan
Tag: 1961 Karmann Notchback

#14 Post by steverestelli »

California must purge their files after time.
I contacted them in 2013 for my ownership records from 1970-73 of my 356.
They claimed to have nothing.
I just wanted to add to the paper history as I do have the 1974 Arizona title, and the receipts from those years.
1961 356B T5 Karmann Hardtop #200279 Sports Coupe named "Carmine"
2nd & 4th Owner of this car 1970-73 found again on Ebay in 2013 & bought it back 128K miles

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

You are correct, Steve. California records are purged (for lack of a better word) after about 7 years. I tried to find the original license plate number of my car through both AAA and a contact with a local police department. Nada. I think the only way you could get additional info is if the car was stolen many years ago. I heard California Highway Patrol keeps records on those indefinitely. Unfortunately, only my engine was stolen circa 1973. No records on that.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe