Black car getting lots o' press, what do you know??

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Black car getting lots o' press, what do you know??

#1 Post by Steve Proctor »

This car has shown up recently in a couple of places. It is the featured in the October 1 issue of the Porsche Club Of America e-Brake News. I am also told it is the December car of the month on the Three Fifty Six, Inc. New 2016, Old 356 calendar. ???

http://archive.aweber.com/awlist3664116 ... e_News.htm
Attachments
Black car.JPG
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Bil Brown
356 Fan

Re: Black car getting lots o' press, what do you know??

#2 Post by Bil Brown »

Looks like VW wheels to me! Rear fender bracket seems to be missing too......KitCar
Bill Brown

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

bil brown wrote:Looks like VW wheels to me! Rear fender bracket seems to be missing too......KitCar
Yep.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#4 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Steve Proctor wrote: It is the featured in the October 1 issue of the Porsche Club Of America e-Brake News.
I remember seeing that and chuckled that they put a replica in their e-newsletter. I am a PCA member and belong to a great region (Rally Sport) with very nice laid back people so please no hate mail, but it was pretty funny to me...
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Proctor »

Heh heh, yep fooled 'em both. Surprising thing is that it got by the 356 gurus and in the calendar. As a Speeder owner, I could not in good conscience, call it a Speedster
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#6 Post by Jim Liberty »

I've been a PCA member for too long. Past President of the Niagara Region when Tom Keating and I lead a fair size group of 356s on many an event. Different club here in So. Cal. these days, a Speedster here, was built in 1989, and stored away as an investment.
Jim Liberty

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#7 Post by Edwin Ek »

Those mirrors look so bad ...

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#8 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

What if the owner needed wheels and used what was available? What if the finder strut support detail was left off on purpose? What if your taste in mirrors is not their taste in mirrors? Just saying, things 356 may never again be exactly the way they use to be. I've always, will always enjoy the sight of a 356 body. Black may not be my preferred finish, but it does a great job of setting off the lines of a 356. And, a plastic tub has, in its own way, preserves the vision I enjoy tooling down the highway. Nice photo, regardless of the nits. Porsche and VW have had a long history of supporting one another's needs, and, I've no doubt that relationship will continue in spite of all this greater than thou monkey business with respect to what one observes as being just right, or not.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#9 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

glen hamner wrote:What if the owner needed wheels and used what was available?

Glen,

Those are VW disc brake wheels and will not fit any porsche hub setup. It is the defining giveaway. I suppose it's possible that someone went through the trouble of switching their braking system to VW disc, but highly unlikely.

For the record, I don't dislike Speedster replicas. Hell, it's probably the only way I could ever own a car that at least looked like a Speedster. Missed my chance in 1994 when a fellow wanted to trade me his nicely restored '55 Speedster for my C coupe and a reasonable amount of cash. Took my wife for a ride in it and while she didn't say I couldn't buy it, she did say she would never ride in it with me while she was trying to put her contacts back in and pick all of the bugs out of her teeth. To this day she groans whenever we see one, now she is all about it, but back then, no. :-(
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#10 Post by Jim Liberty »

I have no problem with kit cars. As long as they are not foisted off as real. I'm just about to start on a Factory 5, AC Cobra for my son. There I go calling by a name it isn't. Sorry !!!
Jim Liberty

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

#11 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

When looking at this car on December 1, when I flipped my calendar to the new month, I immediately noticed the wheels. Further viewing it appears the hood handle is mounted a bit too high and the Porsche script on the nose is too low. I also wonder how those fog lights are mounted to the plastic bumper. I bet the parking brake is mounted on the center tunnel, too.
Eric Wahlberg