head light buzzer early 912

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
tim noble
356 Fan

head light buzzer early 912

#1 Post by tim noble »

After leaving my lights on over the weekend I need to install a buzzer. I have installed one on my 356 but the logic of the 2 wires to the fuses does not carry over to the 912. I've searched for diagrams to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

I tried a number of configurations and it seems the black on #1 to ingition and red to a running light so that it beeps if any light is on - no luck.
Tim

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: head light buzzer early 912

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

I have a diagram for the early 912 and 911 - here's a piece of it showing the light switch, fuse box and combo switch. I'm not sure what you are referring to in your post, but maybe this will help you ...
Good luck!
912 section.PNG
Greg Bryan

tim noble
356 Fan

#3 Post by tim noble »

Thanks Greg. I have the schematic but still can't figure it out. On my D I attached one wire (I think black) to the fuse at the far right (ignition) and the other wire to the running /low beam fuse (5,6 or 7 all work I believe). I've tried similar arrangements as well as many many other combinations on the 912 and nothing activates the buzzer with lights on and ignition off. In fact no combination activates the buzzer except when I attached it to the positive and negative on the battery. When I search on the forum I can find several threads and they simply note which wires to attach to which fuse and it works for 356s. Unfortunately the 912 is a different configuration.
TIm

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#4 Post by Phil Planck »

You could try asking your question here:

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?15-912-Help
Phil Planck

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#5 Post by Gary Cox »

I have done this on my 67 912 and 68 911, as well as my 356. Use a radio shack pizoelectric buzzer, less than $5.
I will try to get you the details on the terminal connection numbers later today. They are tough for me to read unside down and laying on my back, but I will try.

Basically, the buzzer has a red and black wire. Piggyback the black wire to the ignition switch at the same terminal as the smaller gauge red wire. The red buzzer wire goes with to a terminal on the light switch, the buzzer was secured to the nearby dash with two sided tape.

I have had this save me trouble more than once, added it to all my cars.
Attachments
IMG_5912.JPG
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jerry Henning »

Tim, your methodology is correct. I have installed these on most of my cars, and recently on a friend's 6V 356C. The black goes to the ignition circuit 15, such as at fuse 1. I prefer to put the red wire on the tail light parking light circuit, so it comes on with either the headlights, or just the park/tail lights.

tim noble
356 Fan

#7 Post by tim noble »

Thanks all. I tried fuse 1 as the ignition fuse and various configurations on running, low, license plate light, etc. with no luck. The buzzer works off the battery. Also tried 912 registry but the site is down for an upgrade. Am I correct that fuse 1 is the the ignition?
Tim

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jerry Henning »

From what I see in the diagram above that Greg has supplied, yes.

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#9 Post by Gary Cox »

This works on my 912. Connect the buzzer red wire to light switch along with the black/blue wire. That wire carries current to the instrument lights anytime the light switch is pulled to the first or second detent. It is a bit tough for me to make out but the black buzzer lead is connected to the nearby ignition switch at terminal 15 (I think).

I would suggest, connect the red buzzer lead as above. Turn on park lights with ignition off and touch black buzzer lead to ignition switch terminals one at a time until it buzzes, then secure it there. If you never get a buzz, then you have a different model buzzer than mine or the one you have is bad.
Attachments
IMG_5921.JPG
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#10 Post by Paul Kust »

Or install a relay, ignition to relay = relay open, lights to relay to buzzer. Ignition off, relay closed buzzer buzzes, turn off lights. I have installed this a number of times, saved a lot of batteries in my old age!
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

tim noble
356 Fan

#11 Post by tim noble »

Interesting that Gary shows connecting the red lead to the ignition switch rather to one of the fuses and Paul suggests a relay. On my 356 I was able to just hook up the wires to the proper fuses and it was a very easy install. I'll play around a bit today - don't think I've looked under the dash at the ignition but it is located almost directly behind the fuse block so my existing pig tails should reach.
Tim

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jerry Henning »

Hey Tim,
Be careful there. The red wire needs to go to a source of power when the lights are on, and I recommend the tail lights circuit. In fact, Gary's picture above shows the red wire connecting to the light switch, not the ignition switch.

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#13 Post by Gary Cox »

HI Tim.

Actually the red lead is on the light switch. This system will not work with the red lead on the ignition, that would orient the diode backwards. And that is the buzzer in the bottom left corner of the last photo.

I first did this on my 356, and like others, I did the install at the fuse block. It was easy and worked well. I liked the result, so I applied it to the 911. I recall trying it at the fuse block, I cannot recall if I moved to the switches because it did not work at the fuse block or the tone was muffled under the front hood and front trunk carpet. Anyway, I recently did the 912 after leaving the driving lights on at a home depot stop. This is an easy, inexpensive little mod that can save some grief later. I have had the buzzer go off several times with the speedster, big help with the 6V system.

Buzzer: https://www.radioshack.com/products/rad ... 0332226245

This mod can work with a relay, but it does work as well with a piezobuzzer, and the system has fewer parts, is more simple. For those that are unaware, this type of buzzer contains a built in diode that acts as the "switching mechanism" that will make this system work as intended. I simple buzzer would require a relay or separate diode to work as a headlight warning signal.
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

tim noble
356 Fan

#14 Post by tim noble »

OK I got it. After looking at the wiring on my D I realized there is a difference on which side of the fuse block you install the wires. I had tried fuse 1 and 7 but on the wrong side of the block (toward the fender). As soon as I tried it on the opposite side toward the interior all is well. Electronics are not a strong suit but I knew it could be done on the fuse block without fishing wires all over the car. The piezo is loud enough that it is audible when adhered to the trunk side of the dash. Thanks for the input.
Tim

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#15 Post by Greg Bryan »

It's hard to see how the buzzer works only in the condition with the lights on- ignition off
I guess, the buzzer is grounded when the ignition switch is off through one of the components hooked to the #15 switched terminal ... most likely the combo meter power wire.
The black-blue wire is hot with the lights on supplying power to the buzzer. With the ign on, there will be battery voltage at both terminals of the buzzer so no current flow through the buzzer. With the ign off, there is no longer voltage at the 15 terminal so ground is sought through the combo meter power wire attached to the #1 fuse - clever! The only other component that might provide a ground is the turn signal flasher. Other wires attached to the #1 fuse are the back-up lights, the brake lights, the ignition coil, none that would provide a reliable path to ground due to the switches (or points) being open.
Greg Bryan