Germans vote to ban production of gas-powered cars

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Germans vote to ban production of gas-powered cars

#16 Post by Ron LaDow »

Edwin Ek wrote:Any idea what the subsidies are to the oil and gas industries?
If you look (and I have, having heard the claim for nearly that long), the "subsides" are tax write-offs, just about the same as any industry gets. I could be wrong, but I've yet to see any.
BTW, I'm not anti-electric, I'm pro "workable". Why UPS and the PO don't use electric is a mystery to me; short trips, overnight charging, etc. But it is a two-day trip from SF top LA in an electric; no thanks.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#17 Post by C J Murray »

Dan Epperly wrote:Until they create a battery that can be charged as fast as you can fill a gas tank electric cars will remain viable only as a second car.
I think the Edisons and Bells of today and the future will eventually solve those problems motivated by the profit motive. Then you will have viable electric cars but right now we just have questionable redistribution of wealth motivated by a combination of good intentions and greed. It would be nice if only venture capitalists had their money at risk.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#18 Post by Brian R Adams »

Edwin Ek wrote:Any idea what the subsidies are to the oil and gas industries? Which have gone on for 100 years?
I can't summarily move this thread to Off Topic, so until this topic is locked ...

FWIW this is only for electricity production in the US:
energy-subsidies-chart.jpg
Edwin Ek wrote:Perhaps you think there are no untoward consequences to burning fossil fuels?
The unimaginably huge benefits to humankind over time of abundant, cheap fossil fuel energy has been well worth whatever untoward effects you refer to - IMHO of course.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#19 Post by David Lawrence »

Already today leading German media outlets are dumping cold water on the news.
Flagship Daily ‘Die Welt’ Calls Germany’s Ban Of Internal Combustion Engines By 2030 A “Fairy Tale”
Even Germany’s leading Green Party politician Winfried Kretschmann, Minister of the state of Baden Württemberg, home to auto giant Daimler Benz, is opposed to a specific deadline. Die Welt writes that a number of leading politicians are not in favor of any deadline for abolishing ICEs, meaning there is no consensus to drive the ambitious project.
http://notrickszone.com/2016/10/12/flag ... airy-tale/
David Lawrence #1087
'64 C Cabriolet (Signal Red/Black Leather)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#20 Post by Brian R Adams »

David Lawrence wrote:Already today leading German media outlets are dumping cold water on the news.
Not surprising cooler heads prevail. Nations are not unlike individuals in one way, I suppose, in that they usually have second thoughts before actually committing suicide.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)