Is this what the future holds for classic car owners??

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: Is this what the future holds for classic car owners??

#16 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Complacency to some, perhaps, but I welcome most advancements in technology. I'm just sorry I won't be here long enough to see most of where things are heading for the future. Advancement is a necessity as it has been throughout man's existence, even though we may eventually advance ourselves into oblivion.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#17 Post by Brian R Adams »

If it's into oblivion, can it really be "advancement"?
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#18 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Everybody's gotta go sometime... :wink:
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#19 Post by Brian R Adams »

Emil Wojcik wrote:Everybody's gotta go sometime... :wink:
Yes, but ... go where?
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#20 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Been there, done that. I'd rather be driving my project than engaging the structure that awaits more heat from the MIG and the supplemental metal fabrications necessary to reinforce the rear suspension member's points of attachment. I'll get there, it all depends on when and how soon. Are we having fun yet? Position, you were referring to the one on my coaster that provides access to the rear suspension's rear wheel well chassis members? Or was it the one where I'm bending through the doorways to weld reinforcements to the chassis on the inside of the cabin, opposite the rear suspensions mounting points?

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#21 Post by Norm Miller »

When I'm old I shall wear a purple hat,
drive my orange coupe through the back roads of home.
I will have my favorite revolver,and my dog.
I will reside in the house of the Govt for the rest of my days,
and never ridden in a self driving car.

M Penta
356 Fan

#22 Post by M Penta »

I'm with you on the self driving cars, but I expect the roadways will continue to accommodate manual driven cars for many years to come. I can't imagine how a self driving car would navigate the back roads around here: steep dirt roads, bumps, snow, mud, ruts, etc. It would be an extremely frustrating experience to ride in one and have no control. So if eventually these are main stream, will you still need a drivers license? And what about motorcycles?
Computers are already in control of most aspects of our lives, and it will only get 'worse'. With this of course comes more supervision, both direct and indirect. I see now that there are camera's on the highway directed at traffic, WTH are these for and who asked us if we want them there?
I will never trust computers to control important aspects of my life, but unfortunately do not always have a choice.

As for the Paris thing, this is nothing new for Europe. To be fair - cities there do have very poor air quality with supposedly a significant improvement after such measures have been implemented. Not sure how true this is, but it is what we are led to believe. Also, the ban is for weekday peak hours, not an outright ban (for now anyway).

The problem is, "classic" cars are such a small % of traffic and have practically no impact on air pollution, but how do you separate some thing like a beater old 1992 Peugeot diesel from an 'actual' classic car? Can this be done by model year alone?

I think most of the problems come from the early diesels on the road there, specifically commercial trucks. As an owner of an older diesel car, I hate to say it but these are probably the biggest contributor and should be the first to be banned if they are to ban anything at all. The vast majority of cars on the road in Paris are older diesel's.

When I first read about this a year ago, there was to be a provision that cars over 30 yrs old were considered a classic and were exempt from this ban? seems that this may have changed.

Anyway, I do not think basing this on model year alone is reasonable, but it is the easiest way out for them.