POLL-Are term limits for our trustees a good idea?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!

Do you think term limits for our trustees is a good idea? Please vote here.

YES
66%
NO
34%

Total votes: 121

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: POLL-Are term limits for our trustees a good idea?

#226 Post by C J Murray »

For reference only, I found this in the PCA bylaws...
ARTICLE V: ELECTED OFFICERS AND SPECIAL APPOINTMENTS Section 1 – Elected Officers
The elected officers of the Club shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Their terms of office shall be two years, and shall end on December 31. No officer shall serve in the same office more than two consecutive terms. No officer may continue in office if the officer shall move the officer’s residence beyond the borders of the United States or Canada.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#227 Post by C J Murray »

North American MGB Register

C. Terms of Office:
1. Members of the Executive Committee shall be elected for a period of 2 years.

3. One half of the Committee to retire at each Annual General Meeting.
a. Chairman and Treasurer to be elected during odd numbered years.
b. Vice-Chairman and Secretary to be elected during even numbered years.
4. A retiring Chairman or Vice-Chairman shall be eligible for re-election, but can be elected to no more than five consecutive years in the same office. (2)
5. A retiring Secretary or Treasurer shall be eligible for re-election at the end of each two year term, but can be elected to no more than five consecutive years in the same office. (2)(5)

Porsche Club of America

Section 1 – Elected Officers
The elected officers of the Club shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Their terms of office shall be two years, and shall end on December 31. No officer shall serve in the same office more than two consecutive terms. No officer may continue in office if the officer shall move the officer’s residence beyond the borders of the United States or Canada.

Porsche Club Great Britain

Not the actual wording but rather an outline presented by one of my Brit friends:

7 board members.
Each term is for 2 years.
You can then run another 2 years if voted in again.
Maximum is 4 years when you have to leave for a one year period.
There is no fixed amount of board positions up for vote each year although the maximum in the past has been 3.
If a board member leaves early for health or other reasons that position can be filled by the board voting in a replacement.
The position would only be for the remainder of the leaving persons term, should the person wish to continue he/she! would have to put themselves  to a members vote.

Antique Automobile Club of America

3.3.2. No Director shall serve more than four terms, either separately or consecutively.

Jaguar Clubs of North America

Section 1. Board of Directors: The property and business of the JCNA shall be managed by its board of directors, consisting of (a) two directors from each of the six regions, to be elected by the membership for a term of two years until the next AGM; one director from each region to be elected on even numbered years and one on odd numbered years, (b) the immediate past president, (c) Jaguar Cars, Inc. designated director, (d) the treasurer (e) past JCNA Secretary, Richard P. Howe, as a nontransferable life member and (f) Legal Counsel, when not otherwise a director.. Each director shall have one vote. Each director is limited to three consecutive terms on the board, not including partial terms served by appointment of the board to fill empty positions. Each newly elected director shall begin his/her term upon receipt of the election results by the President in mid-January. (rev. 1/15/00)
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

George Barnes
356 Fan

Re:o become a POLL-Are term limits for our trustees a good i

#228 Post by George Barnes »

This is somewhat of an apples/oranges comparison

The PCA and the Antiques Automobile Club of America are both national organizations with full time staff and a headquarters building. Therefore, there is continuity of member services even though officers and boards members change.

Membership in the Porsche Club of Great Britain is limited to owners of a Porsche and ownership must be proved to become a member.

The web site for the Jaguar Club of North America is not very good and is inferior to the 356 Registry. It appears that the Jaguar Club may have removed term limits from its bylaws, but hard to determine from a search on the site.

My point: Having term limits does not assure membership of a good organization with the services the members want. The 356 Registry has an outstanding magazine and website and is a great source for obtaining answers to questions.

No one has provided any concrete facts to convince me to support term limits for our organization

George Barnes
George D. Barnes
'64 356SC

C J Murray
356 Fan

#229 Post by C J Murray »

George, I assume that means that you feel that we get the best management with the most diverse and varied approach by electing our Trustees to a term that is greater than 20 years. To avoid any other confusion by avoiding having too many points of view we could reduce the number of Trustees to 1 and elect that person for life. I am serious when I ask why then do we need 7 Trustees? Why then do we need elections? What is the point? Let's appoint a King.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

George Barnes
356 Fan

#230 Post by George Barnes »

Sorry Cliff, but I do not get the point of your rant

I did not propose any of the things you are stating

I posted that some clubs have term limits, but that does not mean that they are any better than clubs like ours that do not

You have proposed several different options for term limits - which one is it?

You have your opinion - I have mine and if an amendment is ever put to a vote, my vote will no

George Barnes
George D. Barnes
'64 356SC

Charlie White
356 Fan

#231 Post by Charlie White »

Cliff,

According to your own prior post, you have run for election
to the board three times, and lost three times. Doesn't that
tell you something!

CW
Charlie White

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#232 Post by Dave Erickson »

Charlie White wrote:Cliff,

According to your own prior post, you have run for election
to the board three times, and lost three times. Doesn't that
tell you something!

CW
Charlie, I'll tell you what it tells me. The current system weighs heavily against new people, just look at the election results Cliff has posted. The fact that Cliff has lost three times, despite being one of the most respected members of our community, shows how difficult it is for anyone to break in to the inner circle of the Registry. Term limits are long overdue.

-Dave

C J Murray
356 Fan

#233 Post by C J Murray »

George Barnes wrote:You have proposed several different options for term limits - which one is it?
It has been 2 proposals. There was a complicated one that was a true term limit with language written to phase in the term limits slowly. My latest proposal is not really a term limit but hopefully will accomplish some of the desired results. Here it is...

Consecutive terms shall not exceed two terms for any Trustee.

That equates to 6 years consecutive and the ability run again after a break.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Charlie White
356 Fan

#234 Post by Charlie White »

"The current system weighs heavily against new people...."

Might it also represent substantial satisfaction with the way things are?

CW
Charlie White

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#235 Post by Ron LaDow »

Charlie White wrote:"The current system weighs heavily against new people...."
Might it also represent substantial satisfaction with the way things are?
CW
Yes, and is that any reason not to examine alternatives?
I'm pretty happy with the way things have been run, but an offer of change is worth examination. Perhaps it is improvement, perhaps not. I'd like a look. I can always say "no".
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#236 Post by Phil Planck »

“A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." - G.K. Chesterton
Phil Planck

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#237 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

It's never difficult to realize when one has found a home, or when one is surrounded by greatness. This is a really neat place to call home. I have always embraced change, its a constant I've come to realize for its purpose, to make me grow and adapt, to survive till my time is done. Had I the need to lead the pack, I'd have placed myself in harms way. To all those who would be and have been a trustee, thank you all for your need to lead.

Steve Minor
356 Fan

#238 Post by Steve Minor »

The trustee election is when the silent majority's voice is heard. Isn't that why we vote?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#239 Post by Mike Wilson »

You are right that elections are when the silent majority have their opportunity to vote but, in the last election, the number of people voting was a minority of members who concern themselves with such things as voting, weighing in on the Talk List and giving of themselves and their knowledge and expertise.

The silent majority are magazine subscribers.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

#240 Post by Gordon Maltby »

I guess this is as good a place as any to post a reminder about the upcoming club election.

Trustee Nominations Close Saturday, October 1st

(Sorry to shout but that seems to be in fashion this year.)

If you are interested in becoming a trustee, please send a bio with your reasons for running to Jeannie Macaluso at fmaca@msn.com by Saturday. We also need a photo for the elections page in the magazine.

Thanks to everyone who steps up to benefit the club.