POLL-Are term limits for our trustees a good idea?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!

Do you think term limits for our trustees is a good idea? Please vote here.

YES
66%
NO
34%

Total votes: 121

Bob Campbell
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: POLL-Are term limits for our trustees a good idea?

#256 Post by Bob Campbell »

CJ, Your continuing proclamation that "No incumbent Trustee has ever lost an election" has never been true. I was not reelected after my first term as Trustee and I believe John Jenkins experienced this also. Please stop this ridiculous campaign against volunteerism. It is the life's-blood of this wonderful club!
Bob Campbell
1956 Porsche Special
1962 S-90 Karmann Hardtop Elec. Sunroof
1964 SC Coupe
1965 C Cabriolet

It's either this or a real job.
http://www.356Services.com

C J Murray
356 Fan

#257 Post by C J Murray »

Bob Campbell wrote:CJ, Your continuing proclamation that "No incumbent Trustee has ever lost an election" has never been true. I was not reelected after my first term as Trustee and I believe John Jenkins experienced this also.
Thank you for the correction, I think. I looked again at the magazine archives and can't find a time since before May/June of 1994 that Bob Campbell was not listed as a Trustee. I guess I missed that time off of yours. Joe Johnson shows up a little earlier.
Bob Campbell wrote:Please stop this ridiculous campaign against volunteerism. It is the life's-blood of this wonderful club!
I am actually promoting volunteerism. Maintaining a 23 year stranglehold on a volunteer position is stifling the volunteer spirit.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#258 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

C J Murray wrote:I am actually promoting volunteerism. Maintaining a 23 year stranglehold on a volunteer position is stifling the volunteer spirit.
Fully agree, a vote for one person is not necessarily a vote against someone else.

Our once bustling Motor Cities Gruppe (Detroit area 356 club) is now a club with 3 or 4 events per year when in the past we had something going on almost monthly. The board is comprised of mostly the same great volunteers as 20 years ago. They do everything they can to keep things going, but I'll bet many of them would have loved some new faces in there with fresh ideas and would not have taken it as a personal attack. The reason i say this is that up to about 15 years ago, other members actively campaigned to become board members of the Gruppe but were never able to unseat an incumbent in an election. I was one of those incumbents. Now, no one ever throws their name in the hat for consideration, the "permanent" board positions in the Gruppe stifled the spirit of volunteerism of the other members.

Not really an apples to apples comparison, just a different perspective on volunteerism.
Last edited by Sebastian Gaeta on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#259 Post by Jim Liberty »

You all know where I stand. I will not run again after this year. Not a health issue either, I've just done what I can for the members, it is time for new blood. A word of advice; candidates must rally their own support, don't rely on a "Statement" in the magazine. That is not enough.
Jim Liberty

C J Murray
356 Fan

#260 Post by C J Murray »

Thank you both for the comments. I am not against any person and I appreciate that you note the difference.
Jim Liberty wrote:A word of advice; candidates must rally their own support, don't rely on a "Statement" in the magazine. That is not enough.
So true Jim! As a general rule any new face brought into the inner sanctum waged a very aggressive campaign, was active and well known in a large local club, and/or endorsed by sitting Trustees because they are of a like mind with the sitting Trustees. Every new person has a mentor that has stumped hard for the now new Trustee. On the other hand, having a Trustee talking about you with phrases like "we don't want a guy like him as Trustee" is a sure fired way to lose.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#261 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jim: I'm happy to hear that the reason you will not be running is not health-related. Thank you for volunteering your time to the Registry.

Volunteers are the life-blood of any organization but there comes a time, for any number of reasons, that you bow out. Hopefully, new people step in with energy, motivation and new ideas to keep the organization alive.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe