Porsche pre owned warranty question - windshield

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

Porsche pre owned warranty question - windshield

#1 Post by Mark Roth »

I have a 2010 Cayman that is about to go out of extended warranty. Discovered that I have a crack at the bottom of the windshield that is definitely not caused by an impact. See photo. The warranty covers "any factory-installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use." The warranty does not cover, "Glass breakage, chips and/or scratches that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship." Brought the car into the dealership. Service Adviser conferred with the Service Manager (who is a #$%%## from prior experience). The SM, without looking at the car, told the SA that glass is not under warranty if the defect is not immediately apparent when the car is purchased. I have had a few rounds before with this SM so I am reluctant to take him on. Asking for advice on this.
Attachments
Windshield crack.JPG
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

Re: Porsche pre owned warranty question - windshield

#2 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Regional Manager, skip the dealer entirely, followed by a "concerned" letter from your lawyer, CC'ed Porsche AG. Don't waste time with dicks.

Just like asking for a supervisor immediately when you reach a call center. Repeat upwards until you have a responsible corporate level guy. Broadcasting your displeasure publicly will cost them far more than a windshield.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Make the SM show you that in writing, I bet he can't.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by Mark Roth »

After talking with Porsche USA, went to another dealer. Service manager is out of town until week after next. The lead mechanic looked at the crack. He said that the windshield was under stress and a rock impact about an inch away (small chip) had caused the crack. Therefore he concluded that the crack was caused by the rock. He took pictures for the service manager to decide. Sounds like a tall tale but if it is determined to have been caused by a rock, then I can claim from insurance.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Karaba »

I think most modern cars windshields are always under stress. They are now considered part of the strength and integrity of the unibody. This is why I find windshields crack so much easier on modern cars. The windows are not just floating in a rubber cushion anymore. They are bonded and part of the structure now.

Doug Darrah
356 Fan
Tag: PARTS IS PARTS :>)

#6 Post by Doug Darrah »

There are 3 states that require defect free windshields - with no cost to the individual - also your insurance company cannot charge you or raise rates - I just had my 993 windshield replaced with no issues - www.carwindshields.info/states

Question: What states have free windshield replacement?

Answer: Only Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina waive the car insurance deductible for windshield repair or replacement and thus are referred to as having free windshield replacement or as zero deductible states.