Lotus Eleven

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Mark Reich
356 Fan

Lotus Eleven

#1 Post by Mark Reich »

Folks -

I am considering the purchase of a Lotus Eleven sports racer to add to my small collection. The car is being sold by a company called LBI Limited in Philadelphia. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this company, as they list a number of 356s as prior sales.

Also, if anyone has any advice on buying vintage Lotus cars, or recommendations for a PPI, I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you.

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

jim saunders
356 Fan

Re: Lotus Eleven

#2 Post by jim saunders »

Of the 271 Lotus Elevens built by Lotus about three hundred exist today and more turn up every year. It is necessary therefore that any buyer beware of fakes, duplicates, and stolen histories.

Hi Mark, Fabulous cars. How well I remember watching them in Historic racing when I lived in England. Beautiful, quick and beautifully balanced. A good choice.
However... the quote above is from a Lotus website. If the car you are looking at is claimed to be an original, I would certainly check with the Lotus Seven Register.
Hope this helps. Good luck, jim

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mark Reich »

Thanks, Jim. Those warnings, and the stories of George Washington's axe, are very appropriate for many race cars. Any of these will be rebuilt after racing, so originality is a little different than in the 356 world. But fakes are certainly an issue.

Thank you.

Mark
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Alton »

LBI Limited in Philadelphia came up on the Early 911S Forum recently <http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums ... iladelphia> but the discussion was all about a specific 1970 911S.

Speaking of the growing number of Lotus 11s, I found a new one at the Grand National Roadster Show this January:
Lotus 11 &quot;Tribute&quot;
Lotus 11 "Tribute"
Lotus 11 &quot;Tribute&quot; Sign
Lotus 11 "Tribute" Sign

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster