Unbiased feedback

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Thomas Baker
356 Fan

Unbiased feedback

#1 Post by Thomas Baker »

I have a small collection of Porsches, including 4 356's, and am now considering the purchase of a Boxster Spyder. Can someone on the List give me an opinion on the differences (good and bad) between the 2012 and 2016 versions, especially the convertible tops? Thanks in advance for your help.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: Unbiased feedback

#2 Post by Edwin Ek »

Thomas,

I only know what I read, and you probably have read the same reviews as I. The later car is much improved dynamically but now has electric steering. So feel through the wheel is reduced. The later top is much easier to raise and lower but now has a power latch. Some would consider the power latch an improvement, and it surely is when thinking about ease of use. But it runs counter to the spirit of the car, in my view. The later car has lots more horsepower, if that's important.

Great choice! If I were to buy a Boxster, that would be my model choice for sure.

Apologies, I am sure what I wrote didn't help you at all. I have spent a little time in Memphis. Do you happen to know Lynn Buehler?

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Alton »

I watched the new top demonstrated. It is an improvement in that you don't exactly have to assemble it it's more like a 356 Cabriolet top that you just pull into place and latch. You do have to fasten those flying buttresses after you put the top up.

One problem that would irk me is that you can't open the rear trunk with the top up--at the very least you have to detach the buttresses to open the rear trunk.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#4 Post by Gary Cox »

Hi Thomas.

I have a 2012 Spyder. I am one of the few, but I like the top on my car. I embrace the quirky complexity, sort of like a vintage car type of feeling. I bought my car because at the time I felt it was as close to a true vintage type sports car as any new car has come, I have not been disappointed...I think the styling of the first generation is a little more pure than the new car, but style is very subjective. You cannot go wrong with either, I am sure the added horsepower of the new car will be a big positive.

I grew up in Memphis, have lots of old friends in the Gtown area.
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Pete Stout did an editorial side-by-side of the two versions (987 vs. 981) in the January 2016 PCA Pano. Stout's last sentence in his editorial sort of echoes what Gary Cox wrote about his experience. Stout wrote: "But it's [the 2016] missing the magic and purity that made the original issue far, far more than the sum of its parts."

Stout's column is worth a read if you are considering a Spyder. Brief but to the point.

Happy hunting!
=rds

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Douglass »

Our friends in Pacific Palisades own a 356 B Coupe Concours car, and a 2012 Porsche Spyder, White. They love to drive the White Spyder. They can go anywhere and really enjoy the Porsche experience.

We also have friends in Santa Barbara with a Black on Black 2012 Porsche Spyder. It is a driver and also a Concours car. Absolutely beautiful car, well maintained. They have also shown the car in Monterey.

I would lean towards the earlier car.

If you find an earlier car look in the front to see if you have a current bottle of tire sealant. The shelf life of this product is 4 years and could be outdated. You should also have a tow hook, and spare lug nut. Most owners just carry an Auto Club card and a credit card, but you need to give the tow truck driver that hook to secure your car on the flatbed. We have had Porsche owners stranded for hours because they didn't know the tow hook was with their car.

Finding the right car is a quest.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#7 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I've had an 02 for 12 years and one thing of course is that the '03 has a glass rear window. If you put thee top up and down often you'll want that versus the plastic which will have wear and scratch issues. Other than that, really great addition to the garage.
 KTF, member #15