Paint to Sample

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Dick Douglass
356 Fan

Paint to Sample

#1 Post by Dick Douglass »

For years we have talked about how Porsche would paint your 356 a special color or change rims or do something special for the customer. When we look at 356's we expect everything to be the same and then we find Porsche made a change for the customer.
In the latest Panorama, Pete Stout talks about PTS and how it is really hard to give every Porsche owner exactly what color they wish.
There was a PORSCHE Ruf in Santa Barbara and the color was Santa Barbara. Dr. Joe's car and it was beautiful. Also a 356 owner.
Now we have a 2014 Aetna Blue Turbo in OC. Wow beautiful car, and Walters just sold a mint green Carrera GTS. It was PTS !!
Point is Porsche customer service 50 years ago is still going today.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Paint to Sample

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

We've read stories about the custom paint for some 356's but glad to hear Porsche will still try their best to paint a car the color a customer wants.

Thanks for the info, Dick. I suspect the newest customer-requested colors really will really set them apart from the rest.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

When I picked up this car it had a paint code that started with 9, which I found strange. It was 938 Lechler Havana Brown. This color was primarily used by Mercedes and Lambretta.
Attachments
356mist.jpeg
356mist.jpeg (46.07 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I read somewhere that the "9" indicated a custom color.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

That brown held up well.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Nelson »

Outstanding example:
64SC_065-72-1024x684.jpg
64SC_065-72-1024x684.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
This is from Brad Ripley's post on the "Porsches in original colors" thread. He found it here:
http://roadscholars.com/inventory/1965- ... low-green/

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#7 Post by Norm Miller »

Wouldn't that look nice in my garage beside my Tangerine coupe.
Also the 911, not to be left out.

Norm
Attachments
911 356 s.JPG

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bil Brown »

Nice pair Norm!
Bill Brown

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Norm Miller wrote:Wouldn't that look nice in my garage beside my Tangerine coupe.
Also the 911, not to be left out.

Norm
Norm, you had me at your windshield sticker! I'll have to send you one our new dash magnets.
Attachments
normsticker.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Gensler
356 Fan

#10 Post by David Gensler »

Though not a 356, I like to share the story of my wife's '88 Carrera Targa. It was special ordered with some unusual specifications ("sonderwunsch" noted on documents). Code 999, paint to sample Emerald Green Metalic. Bright trim, instead of anodized black. ATS cast alloy wheels (the last 911 ever delivered with "cookie cutters" ?). Mahogony leather, with pinstripe velour inserts. No cruise or climate control (fairly uncommon for US delivery cars). Tourist delivery (driven 936 miles in Europe before being returned to the factory for service and shipping). In effect, a mid-70's 911 built in the late '80's.

Original owner was the first PCA member in NM back in 1955. He had a habit of ordering new Porsches every few years, and always spec-ed exactly the way he wanted. I had met him years ago and he told me about this car. He passed away some time ago, and when I saw this car advertised locally, I was sure it was the same car. Paperwork confirmed it all. Its a strikingly beautiful car, and Charlotte fell in love with it. She calls it "hygge" (Danish word, look it up). I call it the funky green targa.
IMG_0890.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG
Thanks,
DG
David Gensler