/

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

/

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

Last edited by Adam Wright on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: Threw up in my mouth

#2 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Adam,

The metal work is definitely something that one either likes or does not like, but like many customs the work is very well done even if not to taste. I remember when Mark finished this car, he showed it at the Hershey meet that year. The guy's first name who commissioned it was Dean (I have his business card somewhere) so they felt it was a nice tie in. I think they both had thoughts that it would take off and they would get orders to build them for customers but I think this is the only one.

Anyway, you can't fault them for trying, nice guys both of them but it just did not take off.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

I think the styling elements are just too far apart to mesh well. It's kind of the problem with modern Porsches, they have just gotten too big. The Boxster can be an interesting platform though, like what Tony did with the Ghia Monster.

http://www.transloggt.com/ghia-monster.html
Attachments
Ghia.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#4 Post by Mike Ruddy »

A company here in the UK tried the Spyder treatment on an early 911.

I think they've only made one.

Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

#5 Post by Peter Boettcher »

The Dean was the idea and interpretation by Dean Trindle, a fellow Cincinnatian, on what a Spyder would look like in a contemporary Porsche line up at the time. Mark Schlachter built the car to very exacting specifications supplied by Dean. The fit and finish on the car is outstanding down to a faux spare tire that can be viewed through the engine grill. There were also complications on the use of The Dean name. This is the only one that was built and the number of hours consumed was incredible. Would I want it in my garage? Hell no. Dean also commissioned Mark to build other one offs, including a barrel back Bentley on a Mercedes chassis. The workmanship again is amazing, but the car is also another orphan. The fun part has been watching the team at Metalkraft make these concept cars a reality.

356 Regards,

Peter Boettcher
Peter Boettcher

M Penta
356 Fan

#6 Post by M Penta »

If that nose was maybe 4" shorter is would look great. Looks like top quality work.

I like that 911 spyder, looks weird at first but it passes. More I look more I like.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Alton »

Adam Wright wrote:I think the styling elements are just too far apart to mesh well. It's kind of the problem with modern Porsches, they have just gotten too big. The Boxster can be an interesting platform though, like what Tony did with the Ghia Monster.

http://www.transloggt.com/ghia-monster.html
I was chief judge at my PCA Region's Concours d’Élégance: there was a single 991 entered and the head judge of the team that was to judge it couldn't find it. We were on a bank overlooking the venue and I suddenly realized that the giant Porsche smack in the middle wasn't a Panamera--it was the 991 we were looking for.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster