Future owners of Porsche 356's

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Dick Douglass
356 Fan

Future owners of Porsche 356's

#1 Post by Dick Douglass »

I was concerned about the future of the Porsche 356. As our members of the Registry get older where would these cars go? Would a College Grad want to lay on the ground and adjust the valves? Is there any way a young person would know what the correct screw is for that engine grill? Changing Oil every 3 thousand miles and a tune up?

I bring this up because a young person can buy a 2002 Porsche and drive the wheels off the car and dispose of it like a BIC pen for 1/5 th the cost of a 356.

If you create an app for a I phone which gives the 356 driving experience you might keep the 356 alive.

Bob Campbell
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Future owners of Porsche 356's

#2 Post by Bob Campbell »

Hey Dick,

What are you trying to do?? Cheer everybody up?

Best,

Bob
Bob Campbell
1956 Porsche Special
1962 S-90 Karmann Hardtop Elec. Sunroof
1964 SC Coupe
1965 C Cabriolet

It's either this or a real job.
http://www.356Services.com

Daryle Higginbotham
356 Fan

#3 Post by Daryle Higginbotham »

Let the Kid Drive !

Each year we hold an event at The Southern Owners Group where we encourage our members to let their kids drive. With the escalating values of our cars, its easy to get caught up in the $$$ but lets not forget the real reason most of us bought these cars - just the pure pleasure of driving a 356.

Let the younger generation experience the 356 - give them a little taste get them hooked. They are just metal, rubber, oil that run on gas; without the love and appreciation of the driver, they are nothing. Share the 356 driving experience with your kids, friends, and grandchildren. This is the only way to “Keep the Faith”

Daryle
2016 President Southern Owners Group

Drive for Fun
Southern 356 Owners Group
678-524-7842

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good idea about the app, Dick. Maybe a video game as well where they have to learn how to shift, drive without spinning out, etc. then arrange a local "356 Driving Experience" for the real thing!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Both of my daughters learned to drive a manual transmission on our 1963 Beetle, just like millions of American kids did decades before them. One day last summer I asked my oldest daughter, Isabella, if she'd like to drive the cab. Here's the video (turn the sound OFF, it's all really bad wind noise because I was simply holding my phone outside of the car pointed towards us):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MqAq77Gpg4

As we took off she immediately said "Dad, this car is Majestic! Now I understand what you've been going on about all of these years"

She also said she didn't think there would be that big of a difference between driving the VW and the cab and was very surprised. It just did not occur to her that one old car would be that much nicer to drive than the other. Like Daryle says, you've just got to get them behind the wheel so they understand what it's all about.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#6 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I don't see too many college grads buying these cars. Those days are long gone. At $80k+ and 50+ year old only the wealthy are buying these days. I see lots of WTB ads by dealers and enthusiasts hoping for a bargain.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

The enthusiasm for our cars is very high, the $$$ is just not there. But I sell a lot of rough and cheap 356's to guys in there 20s and 30s, but guys that are in their 40s and 50s are buying the high end projects from me, only because they have more money. I don't despair that the popularity of the 356 will waver, there are legions of guys that as soon as they have the loot, will have a 356. In fact, a lot of guys who call me want a 356, and not a 911, because they can wrap their heads around the mechanics of a 356, but are intimidated by the 911. Re-building a 356 motor in your garage is something the average guy can do with a Pellow manual and some trial and error, but I don't think there is a Pellow book for a 911 motor, and don't even get me started on the complexity of MFI...
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#8 Post by Matthew Devereux »

Having owned a late air cooled 911 and a Cayman I can say that the 356 is just as fun to drive if not more especially on public roads. Now if only I could afford an open car :)
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jon Schmid »

Dick Douglass wrote: Would a College Grad want to lay on the ground and adjust the valves?
Who do you think adjusts the valves on my cars now? :wink: Seriously, there are a lot of maintenance chores that my son takes lead on, if for no other reason and the fact that we don't have a lift, he is much more limber than me. He is part of the next generation of driver/owners. :D

Jon

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#10 Post by Emil Wojcik »

My 25 year old son wants my 356 so bad I'm hoping he's not planning on smothering me in my sleep. :wink:

Seriously, he asks me about it on a regular basis (he just brought it up again yesterday). He's wanted it since he was 10 when I first brought it home. Unfortunately for him, he has three sisters that he has to share our estate with when we're gone, and with the prices rising I'm not so sure he'll be able to buy out their interest. Luckily all the kids get along great together...and I'd like to keep it that way after I'm gone. I may have to sell it some day just to keep the peace although so far his sisters don't seem to care if he gets it. That may change if prices get too much higher. The possibility of me needing to sell is not a decision I'm looking forward to making. Hopefully I can work something out so he can keep the car.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jon Schmid »

I guess I have it a bit easier. Two 356's, two kids, although my daughter threatens to sell my coupe to get a '64-'66 Stingray. The hard part will be parting with the Roadster which my dad bought new. I grew up with and in that car. At least it will be in good hands when I finally let it go.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Put the cars on the road and drive them! One of the better ways to attract the younger generation. While the back roads are preferable with all the twists and turns along with the occasional straight road, find myself also in town with the car and getting lots of exposure. Almost 600 miles in February with about the same in January...

These cars are just too much fun not to drive. One of 2,743 built and is getting the love it deserves.
Attachments
59 356 Happy Valley 3.jpg

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dan Epperly »

Said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to gauge interest in these cars by younger car nuts take yours to the next local air cooled VW show and watch the reaction.

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#14 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I took mine to a local car show with mainly muscle cars and rods. There was lots on interest and a couple of guys asked if it was for sale which it is not. I doubt they know what they cost. I get thumbs up when driving down the road or stopped at the lights. Usually someone asks me about the car when I'm at the hardware or grocery store. I've gotten used to it.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

steverestelli
356 Fan
Tag: 1961 Karmann Notchback

#15 Post by steverestelli »

It is true, drive one around and see the thumbs go up.
The question I am always asked about my '61 notchback.........."Is that a real one?"
1961 356B T5 Karmann Hardtop #200279 Sports Coupe named "Carmine"
2nd & 4th Owner of this car 1970-73 found again on Ebay in 2013 & bought it back 128K miles