EPA Seeks To Prohibit Conversion Of Vehicles Into Racecars

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

EPA Seeks To Prohibit Conversion Of Vehicles Into Racecars

#1 Post by Brian R Adams »

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08/ep ... o-racecars

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”

The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the “motor vehicles” that Congress intended to regulate.

Next: How long before our vintage "pre-smog" vehicles lose exempt status WRT emissions?
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: EPA Seeks To Prohibit Conversion Of Vehicles Into Raceca

#2 Post by C J Murray »

News flash! Our Government SUCKS! :shock:
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brian R Adams »

"It can't happen here."

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

From what I gather, this new rule is applying more for heavy trucks then sports cars.

Page 40527 "As noted above, the exemption provisions of 40 CFR part 1068, subpart C, already apply for heavy-duty highway engines. EPA is proposing to add a clarification that the exemption from the tampering prohibition for competition purposes does not apply to heavy-duty highway vehicles. This aligns with the statutory provisions for the racing exemption."
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brian R Adams »

Adam Wright wrote:From what I gather, this new rule is applying more for heavy trucks then sports cars.
Adam, you got it exactly backwards. Better read that quote again.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Brian R Adams wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:From what I gather, this new rule is applying more for heavy trucks then sports cars.
Adam, you got it exactly backwards. Better read that quote again.
It also reads,
""This proposed action would affect
companies that manufacture, sell, or
import into the United States new
heavy-duty engines and new Class 2b
through 8 trucks, including combination
tractors, all types of buses, vocational
vehicles including municipal,
commercial, recreational vehicles, and
commercial trailers as well as 3⁄4-ton
and 1-ton pickup trucks and vans. The
heavy-duty category incorporates all
motor vehicles with a gross vehicle
weight rating of 8,500 lbs or greater, and
the engines that power them, except for
medium-duty passenger vehicles
already covered by the greenhouse gas
standards and corporate average fuel
economy standards issued for light-duty
model year 2017–2025 vehicles"

Sounds like they are writing new rules for large vehicles, probably diesel trucks that they modify to pump out more black smoke at truck shows.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#7 Post by C J Murray »

Minor point-diesels put out large amounts of black smoke not for the show but for power. They love fuel, unlike gas engines, the black smoke means that it is tuned for maximum power.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wes Bender »

Rest assured that the bureaucrats will interpret it to their advantage. Intent doesn't mean anything and can't even be argued in court (without the originator of the subject testifying).

I'm in favor of racing 18-wheelers. We can get Vic on board if we use Zenith carbs, maybe 15 - 20 or so to match the increased displacement.

Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brian R Adams »

Adam Wright wrote:
Sounds like they are writing new rules for large vehicles, probably diesel trucks that they modify to pump out more black smoke at truck shows.
Adam, you missed this part of my OP (with new clarifying note in [], and emphasis mine) :

The proposed regulation [pertaining to modifying vehicles for competition] was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.

They attempted to hide the part about modifying vehicles for racing inside this proposal pertaining (in part) to heavy trucks. In your case, they were successful in hiding it. :?

M Penta
356 Fan

#10 Post by M Penta »

It does sound like they are going after the coal rollers. Black smoke does not mean maximum power, but does mean maximum pollution/fuel consumption. It is indeed for show.

After the VW stuff, I was just waiting for something like this to happen. I would not want to be a diesel tuning company right now.

I like diesel's and have driven them daily for the past 15 yrs, but the rolling coal thing is just dumb. I do have stg 2 flash and PP520 nozzles in my TDI, which provides a nice power upgrade and only minimal smoke WOT when shifting, but I wish it had no smoke not more!

Creating a law that prohibits passenger cars from being turned into race cars is an entirely different matter. I sure hope it does not come to this.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

M Penta wrote:Black smoke does not mean maximum power
Have you ever seen a tractor pull? They tune for maximum power, not for a smoke show.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

M Penta
356 Fan

#12 Post by M Penta »

Sure, it does take a lot of fuel to spool up those monster turbo's, and they smoke like crazy during that time, but when they are spooled up and the light turns green they continue to smoke to that degree because they want them too. Many just think it looks cool, and/or are making some anti environmental statement. They want as much smoke as possible, these are the guys ruining it for all.

A good running diesel engine should produce very little smoke, newer common rail trucks can make 1000hp nearly smoke free. I would much rather see a big block gasser pullin anyway.

I love my motorsports, but these coal rollers are doing a disservice to all types of automotive enthusiast and motorsport communities.

Anyway, this does in fact apply to race cars too. If so, I hope it will be met with some serious opposition. Far more then some group of coal rollers...

M Penta
356 Fan

#13 Post by M Penta »

Well, Jalopnik broke this down a bit more:

It seems that mods to any street driven car whether raced or not will be banned (technically, most are already though?).

Race cars based on production cars will need to have all OEM emissions intact.

More then likely, older vehicles/vintage will be grandfathered in.

What about Nascar? I would almost like to see it go back to an actual manufacturers race.

It does sound like dedicated, purpose built race engines are exempt, but not clear how that works or what they can be installed in.

There is a lot to digest of this 692pg proposal.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#14 Post by Brian R Adams »

M Penta wrote: More then likely, older vehicles/vintage will be grandfathered in.
Not necessary, as cars built before 1970 (?) have little or no emissions controls to alter. A car that is exempt from smog tests today is ipso facto immune from being altered illegally.
M Penta wrote: What about Nascar? I would almost like to see it go back to an actual manufacturers race.
I don't think there's anything on a modern NASCAR car that's "production" so nothing is altered.
M Penta wrote:It does sound like dedicated, purpose built race engines are exempt, but not clear how that works or what they can be installed in.
This is not intended to affect such racing, it applies to production street cars. Not sure what your last phrase means - "what they can be installed it"?

ray nelson
356 Fan

#15 Post by ray nelson »

Thankfully "Driverless Cars" will get all of you outlaws and non-conformists off the road!

Ray :shock: