EPA Seeks To Prohibit Conversion Of Vehicles Into Racecars

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

Re: EPA Seeks To Prohibit Conversion Of Vehicles Into Raceca

#16 Post by Ronald Sieber »

SEMA is a trusted source and a guardian of rights surrounding the old car hobby.They have paid staff that monitor our trusty gummint. They lobby in Congress for us because they understand governmental over-reach. And they keep an eye on up and coming bills, etc. They are in our corner.

I went to their site as Brian Adams had suggested, read the petition, and signed it. I urge all members to at least go to the SEMA site and read the thing.
http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2 ... n=LegAlert

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#17 Post by Ron LaDow »

A registry member sent this 'fact check' (Snopes) to me.
http://www.snopes.com/epa-seeks-ban-rac ... nversions/
Snopes rules the claim that the EPA bans "conversion" of street-driven cars to competition cars as "mostly false".
I've read the thing several times and I'm calling BS on Snopes.
It appears to me that, while the EPA isn't banning "conversion" (whatever that means), it is banning modifying the engine. Further, it appears that the wording my well allow them to ban "conversion" and they seem to retain the final say on what "conversion" means, but hey, it's just 'restating' an existing regulation, and they wouldn't do that anyhow, right? Right?
RIGHT?!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

M Penta
356 Fan

#18 Post by M Penta »

"This is not intended to affect such racing, it applies to production street cars. Not sure what your last phrase means - "what they can be installed it"?

What I meant is what can a purpose built competition engine be installed in if not a production based car? Only a scratch built tube frame race car? Lets say I have some new Camaro I wish to convert to track only, I need to leave it stock right? No GM motorsport engine would be allowed?

It seems that all after market engine components will be illegal, except maybe cat back exhaust and CAI. Technically this is already illegal in most states, but not sure to what extent or how heavily enforced. For example, I see a lot of hot rod Subaru's driving around with 400WHP. I guess they will need to de mod cars like this since enforcement will be ratcheted up. Wow!

The Phase 2 thing involves the trucks, which seem to have been exempt from most of these laws until now. The EPA has already sued Edge controllers. As I said, I would not want to be in the aftermarket diesel business right now (or any aftermarket business really).

It looks like the stock class sizes will be growing. It will be interesting to see how showroom stock will develop.

NASCAR faces zero consequences with this, but I bet the EPA is chomping at the bit.

Just thinking out loud here as I read more into this... I hope I am wrong about the projected impact it will have.

I think what they are mainly trying to accomplish is increased enforcement of modified vehicles used on the street (all 50 states) and the aftermarket mfg's who manufacture such parts. Also getting rid of the GVW exemption for trucks.

Still not sure how this will impact classic/vintage street or race cars. Seems like there is nothing to worry about for now.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#19 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

I'm comfortable with whatever happens along this line of thought. From the perspective of a past federal employee, who did their best to make life better for those who defend our nation against whatever threat you may care to imagine, our government hasn't now nor has it ever had in its past, the resources to address all it has obligated itself to do, in our behalf. Think about it folks, we simply do not maintain a federal workforce capable of dealing with anything like a tenth of the laws on the books that thou shalt obey. There. Everyone chill, and have a nice day. I'm from the government and I'm here to help ya. Arghhhhh!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

Looks like the EPA is abandoning this.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/epa-abandon ... 16835.html
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#21 Post by C J Murray »

Stupid ideas proposed by pinhead feel-good bureaucrats who drive plug-in cars powered by coal.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"EPA has decided to eliminate the proposed language from the final rule."

Does the EPA post NPRMs for public review periods like other regulatory agencies or do the proposals go straight to law via "Emergency Rule Making" ?